cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 75-300mm III to Canon Rebel T5

zjasani
Apprentice

Hi,

I picked up a used T5 with the 18-55 mm kit lens and also the 75-300 mm. I can't attach the 75-300mm lens to the camera for some reason. I place the lens into the opening and match the red dots for the EF lens. The issue is, I can't twist to lock it into place. I've applied some force to it thinking maybe it just needs an extra push but I am also scared to damage the lens. Does it need just a little extra force or any ways to identify and fix what could be the issue? Maybe the issue is not the lens and is the body?

Thanks,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

If other lenses work with the body your 75-300 may have slight mount damage that isn't easy to spot.

Mount tolerances are so tight that a very small tweak will make a poor fit.

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Does it need just a little extra force or any ways to identify and fix what could be the issue?"

It needs very little force, exactly like mounting your 18-55. I assume it mounts OK? The mount may be broken but it would tale a significant blow to bend it.  Enough that the lens itself would probably be damaged too. This lens is not a good candidate for repair either. But a call to Canon will comfirm that or not. 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It should just work. I have no problems with my EF lenses. I can't tell the difference between an EF and EF-S lens. Before applying more force look at the lens and mount carefully. While there are features on EF-S lenses to keep them from mounting on an EF mount, it does not work the other way.

The lens fits into the opening just fine so I guess its mounting it just won't lock into place. I've tried holding down the release when twisting too but that hasn't helped.

If other lenses work with the body your 75-300 may have slight mount damage that isn't easy to spot.

Mount tolerances are so tight that a very small tweak will make a poor fit.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Does it need just a little extra force or any ways to identify and fix what could be the issue?"

It needs very little force, exactly like mounting your 18-55. I assume it mounts OK? The mount may be broken but it would tale a significant blow to bend it.  Enough that the lens itself would probably be damaged too. This lens is not a good candidate for repair either. But a call to Canon will comfirm that or not. 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

zjasani
Apprentice
Thank you @busyretired @ebiggs1 I took it to a local repair shop and they were able to find some damage. The mount had a portion that was “sticking out” that caused the blockage. The shop said they could try filing it down but probably won’t work.
Announcements