cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM - Problem

XYNOBIS
Apprentice

I bought a refurb copy from Canon store - focus ring is loose, rattles when u touch it, but still works great. I called canon, got it RMA'd. By the way, awesome service from Canon, thank you.Well, I just now received a replacement lens, also a refurbished lens and it has the same identical issue... The focus ring is rattling/clicking when you pull on it back and forth, it is loose in the front to back direction. It also has a little play in the directions you would use when you're focusing... It is very frustrating!!! The zoom ring is nice and tight on both lenses, only the focus ring is loose, as if it's a little bit bigger than it should be - anybody else has this problem?

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My son has this lens on his T2i. But I am probably not the person to ask about it because I never saw it as a very good lens. Just one of the many so-so lens' on the market. But I never noticed it having a unusually loose focus ring. But I suspect that is a subjective area and depends the individual.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If it's the 70-300 L IS it's a very good lens according to everything I've read. Is it a white lens or black one?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

It is the L lens, white one. It is a very good lens, the only thing that bothers me is that loose focus ring. No other lens I own or have handled has this issue.

I was refering to the black version. I have no experience with the white one but I didi see this in a review of the white lens:

"The zoom and focus rings are very smooth with no play - and the zoom ring remains very smooth even while the lens is pointed up or down. Both rings are nicely sized and very well integrated into the lens barrel design."

EB

My focus ring is tight and smooth on the 70-300L and is very sharp. I would suggest sending the lens into Canon Service explaining the problem while still under warranty. call canon Support and they should pick up the shipping to your service center.

Well, on Friday I received a 3rd copy of the lens and it also has the same issue - the focus ring is so loose it's rattling, clicking as well. I'm giving up on the refurb lenses from canon. I'm going to return this one as well. i'll try to order a brand new one from a store, see if it has this issue. I don't know if it happens during a refurbishing process or if they had a bad batch of them.

yolandasalas
Apprentice
I purchased a new cannon lens 70-300mm at Best Buy about 2 years ago - took with me on a trip and I never got it to work right - it will not focus on AF and switching it to MF only makes it go into a sputtering, almost as though there is something wrong with the electronics or software bug. If I leave the camera on - the lens makes noise as though it was trying to focus with out any intervention on my part... i procratinated in trying to get it fixed ... would really like to use it - any one else have this same issue?

One question?  You bought the "white" one from Best Buy?  At any rate either will be out of warranty now.

EB
Announcements