cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM has gotten blurry at full zoom

davewo
Contributor

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I have had the 60D and 70-300 lens for about a year now. I use the camera primarily for birding. It used to take very sharp pictures at full zoom even after cropping as long as I was fairly close. Recently I have gone out birding several times, but  none of the pictures were sharp. I put this down as operator error for a while until I realised I had not gotten a good shot in quite some time. I did some experimenting using a tripod taking pictures of a birdfeeder right outside a window. At 70mm the images are sharp weven after heavy cropping. At full zoom the pictures are never sharp. I tried turning off IS and using manual focus, but still it appears there is something wrong with the lens. I also have a 50mm 1.4f that takes great pictures so I think that rules out the body. Can a lens be tuned or adjusted? Right now its useless to me.

17 REPLIES 17

My wife can't be paying attention but then again we have separate bank accounts. I left my camera with a newly bought (used) 300 f2.8 L IS on the dining room table for a week and she never asked anything about it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

*Update*

1/30/14 - I have sent my lens to the Canon repair facility in Va. I should hear something next week and will update in case some one else has a similar problem.

Hi.

I have the same lens, purchased several years ago.  It was great for a while andnow I'm realizing the same thing you commented about.  My pictures are soft, even when using a tripod.  How did the repair go with Canon?  Was there a repair needed or just a maintenance/service?  May I askhow much it cost, if there was a repar?

Thanks for posting about this problem.  Much appreciated any updates on your situation!

I will be courious to know... but mine is the L series 70 to 300.  But I've got to do something quick. Maybe rent one.

@timmyleeturner wrote:

I will be courious to know... but mine is the L series 70 to 300.  But I've got to do something quick. Maybe rent one.

This topic was bout the non-L black version.

timmyleeturner
Contributor

Yes, but I didn't seem to notice it until I purchased a new 90D, now I cannot get a tac sharp picture.  I shoot motorsports and have fought this for 6000 pics in two weeks and much figure it out... getting ready to send back my 90D to Amazon.  I can switch to my kit 18-135 USM and get sharp pics, but I can also switch the lens back to my old camera and get pretty sharp shots too.

"...getting ready to send back my 90D to Amazon."

What will that fix?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Get something I like better and works with my lens.

Announcements