cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 70-300mm f ,4-5.6 IS USM Lense

MikeinVa
Contributor

I recently purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T6,  I would like to take close-up pics. of 

birds from a distance of 20' to 25'.   Will this lense do this ?

19 REPLIES 19

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Yes, it should work fine that close. Make sure to get the II version.

Thanks !

Is this a quick, accurate way to determine the zoom power of a lens--- Divide the longest focal length by the smallest, in this case, 300/70= 4.3X ?

I don't know what you mean by "zoom power"

All that ratio means is the difference between the wide end and narrow end of the focal length.

It means so little that I hesitate to draw any generalities about it.

Ok, what I meant was the optical zoom capability of a lens to make the subject appear closer, whether it be 2X closer, 4X closer or pick a number closer. I saw that equation on the internet and it did seem a bit too simplistic to me.

Yes, a 10x lens will decrease the field of view, and hence increase the magnification, a factor of 10.

But a 10-100 is very different than a 70 - 700.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I recently purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T6,  I would like to take close-up pics. of 

birds from a distance of 20' to 25'.   Will this lense do this ?"

Any lens will take a picture of a bird at 20 to 25 feet.  The real question is how much of the photo do you want the bird to occupy? A small bird is always going to be small.

This is a Robin at around 30 feet but with a 600mm lens. I am using a FF camer though.

600mm.jpg

Here is a Ring Bill gull at around 50 feet with a 300mm lens.  

300mm.jpg

What I want you to realize is the size of the bird and the distance and the resulting subject size in your picture it very important.  My advice is don't buy the 70-300mm and look at one of the 150-600mm zoom lenses.  It all depends on what you want your results to be.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The pic. of the robin is what I would like. As far as any lense will take a pic. at 20', I had a 55-250, it would take

a pic. but it would be what you see with the naked eye, very small.

Announcements