cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS USM II-IS NOISE

velgato1990
Contributor

Hi there 🙂

I have got this lens about 3 months already and after serval use, it started making a weird noise...
I run through forums google, some people say it's normal and some say it's not.
I still have a guarantee for the lens, you think I should send it for a check?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The IS (image stabilization) will make some noise and possibly a click.  Some are louder than others but "loud" is a relative term because none are more than just audible to, yeah, I can hear that. Without actually hearing it I doubt anybody here can empirically say one way or the other.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@velgato1990 wrote:

Hi there 🙂

I have got this lens about 3 months already and after serval use, it started making a weird noise...

No lens can autofocus in complete silence.  In a quiet room, you can hear the lens AF motors.  

Remember this, though.  The lens is being controlled by the camera.  If you are hearing the AF motors when you are not holding the camera up to your face is being caused by a setting in your camera, not the lens.  Focusing is a executed by the lens, but controlled by the camera body.

This “always on” focusing mode of operation is handy for sports and action photography, as the camera will try to the lens focusd and ready to go, wherever the lens is pointed.  This can happen when ever the camera body is awake, and not just when metering is active. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The IS (image stabilization) will make some noise and possibly a click.  Some are louder than others but "loud" is a relative term because none are more than just audible to, yeah, I can hear that. Without actually hearing it I doubt anybody here can empirically say one way or the other.

EB

Do you think this kind of noise is fine?

Check this out

Video

Send it to Canon!  There is no other way to have piece of mind about it. If you don't you will always worry.

EB

Already send it 🙂

Thank you.

@velgato1990 wrote:

Already send it 🙂

Thank you.

Good move.  It will give you piece of mind.  Hopefully, there is nothing wrong with the lens.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@velgato1990 wrote:

Hi there 🙂

No lens can autofocus in complete silence.  In a quiet room, you can hear the lens AF motors.  

Remember this, though.  The lens is being controlled by the camera.  If you are hearing the AF motors when you are not holding the camera up to your face is being caused by a setting in your camera, not the lens.  Focusing is a executed by the lens, but controlled by the camera body.

This “always on” focusing mode of operation is handy for sports and action photography, as the camera will try to the lens focusd and ready to go, wherever the lens is pointed.  This can happen when ever the camera body is awake, and not just when metering is active. 

Contrafact
Apprentice
What was the solution? What did Canon find, fix, or replace? I have the same issue and would like to repair it myself. Please let me know. I have the same clicks when powering on, etc. if you have part numbers that would be wonderful!

Contrafact
Apprentice
Note, mine needs repair. It’s not just the noise. It clicks when attempting to switch to viewfinder and then shows 01 connection error.
Announcements