cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon - EF 50mm f/1.8

davis61375
Contributor

Hello

Anyone have or had this lens (Canon - EF 50mm f/1.8) Just wondering for any reviews on it

14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If it is not the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens version, I don't like it.  I had three of the older version and they all failed eventually. They are throw aways, not a candidate for repair.  The newer STM version seems to be a good lens but I have not used it professionally in business.

Canon is the world leader in lenses.  Of this there is little debate.  However, the first version of the nifty-fifty was not one of their better designs.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ernie is right that you shouldn’t expect too much from a $115.00 lens but it all depends on your budget and on whether you already have any lenses other than the kit lenses that come with the cameras. 

I had the old version of this lens and it did feel plasticky but it was a great intro to bright, large aperture lenses and the shallow DOF you can get with them.  The new STM focuses more quietly and also gives smoother, more rounded out-of-focus highlights in the backgrounds.  It also works in1/4 the light your kit lenses need so you don’t have to jack up your ISO so horribly in indoor light. 

Do you have any bright lenses yet?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks

I was told to pick up the EF 85 mm? Is that a better option? I picked up the EF 50 mm but from what I'm seeing here, I should maybe return it?

"I was told to pick up the EF 85 mm? Is that a better option?"

Is it a better option for what?  We need to know what the intended purpose of the lens is.  If it is supposed to be a normal all around general purpose lens, no it is not a better option.  Most of the time a prime lens like an 85mil is a poor choice.  Primes are more difficult to use especially since zooms have become so much better than they once were.  Even the 50mil if it is your only lens isn't a good choice.

If on the other hand you need a fast constant aperture lens either of the two primes is a great choice.  if you wanted to do some portraits, pretty good choice.  You need to have a purpose in mind before you lay your money down.

EB

Thanks

I purchsed the lens for portaits

What camera?  On a Rebel the 85mm is too long most of the time.  The 50mil would be perfect.  On a FF the 85 is a better choice.  This is for portraits that is.

EB

Is your camera a crop sensor or full frame?  Both 50mm and 85mm are ideal focal length on a cropper, with 50mm at the wide end of perfect and the 85 at the long end.  The 85mm will be pretty tight/long though so the 50 will be more versatile. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I have the Canon 6 D Mark ii

You want the 85mm.  Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements