cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM Focusing Issues

namanchavan
Apprentice

I've had my 50mm for about a year now and I absolutely love it. However, I noticed that there are instances where I don't
use it for a while and it starts to "stick." By that I mean, when shooting with either my 80D or M50, it doesn't always
focus on what I want it to right when I attach it to my camera. I have to turn the focus ring to infinity and back to get
it to "warm up" so to speak. Only then it starts to work like it should. Having to always keep this in mind, especially on
shoots, is not good practice.

The lens was actually broken when it was given to me last year. I sent it to Canon for repair which ended up costing me
around $700 total for the repair. There could be a lot of factors to why this lens is acting the way it is. I read
somewhere that it could be gravity, not enough lubricant, corrosion, or even just dirty contacts. Maybe Canon did something
during the repair? Who knows.

Is anyone else having this issue or have experienced this issue? Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

naman chavan
SnapTube TubeMate Test Dpc
3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Someone needs to examine it, hands on.  The only good advice you will get on the internet is “send it to Canon.”

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The lens was actually broken when it was given to me last year."

It is still broken. Send it back.  One thing it isn't dirty contacts so forget cleaning them.

I have had the ef 50mm f1.2L and its big brother the ef 85mm f1.2L for years.  They are fantastic lenses. Nobody makes a lens to compare to them. They are simply unique and great lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Chel
Apprentice
Hi ! Mine does EXACTLY the same thing ? Did you figure it ?
Announcements