cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 250-500 f/4-5.6 IS STM or nano-USM, Please!!!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Canon please answer the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR with an EF or EF-S 250-500 IS STM quality lens at half the cost. 

Show the world that Canon continues to kick butt, with its low cost, hight quality STM lens line!!!

16 REPLIES 16

Also one other fact, if this is a venture that comes to fruition, you better get on the waiting list ASAP.  Because it will sell as fast as Canon can make them.  Probably a 3-6 months wait at best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Waddizzle wrote:

So, what's left to cut from it?  .

They could make it an EF-S mount lens.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

So, what's left to cut from it?  .

They could make it an EF-S mount lens.

Hmm.  Now that's a thought.  But, that may still be too close to undercutting the 100-400mm lens.  If I had a crop sensor camera, all features being close to equal, I wouldn't think twice about buying the 100-400mm lens.

I would think it would need to be hobbled more than that.  A lack of weather sealing on such a lens would preserve the attraction of buying the 100-400mm "L" lens.  Even still, the price Ernie guess-timated is still too high, which would be made even worse if the lens were EF-S mount.  They need something priced like the old 100-400mm.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"... the lens would have to be "crippled" in some way, so as not to undermine sales of the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM."

Venturing into the world of tipping on somebodies feelings, there is no worry about it detracting from the 100-400 sales.  It is supposed to be a 200-600mm after all.  Does the 100-300mm detract from the 100-400 sales?  Don't you think or even realize the Tamron and both Sigma offerings cut in to the Canon 100-400 sale? C'mon, think about it.  Sales is sales whether it is a 100-400 or a 200-600mm!

The Canon patent shows it as an EF lens.  Most likely not an "L" but it is white.  It has IS and will have similar IQ to the Sigma S.

It may not even make it to market but Canon is looking in to such a lens.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... the lens would have to be "crippled" in some way, so as not to undermine sales of the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM."

Venturing into the world of tipping on somebodies feelings, there is no worry about it detracting from the 100-400 sales.  It is supposed to be a 200-600mm after all.  Does the 100-300mm detract from the 100-400 sales?  Don't you think or even realize the Tamron and both Sigma offerings cut in to the Canon 100-400 sale? C'mon, think about it.  Sales is sales whether it is a 100-400 or a 200-600mm!

The Canon patent shows it as an EF lens.  Most likely not an "L" but it is white.  It has IS and will have similar IQ to the Sigma S.

It may not even make it to market but Canon is looking in to such a lens.

Canon Rumors says the Patent is an EF lens.

Canon does not include the marketing name of a product on their patents.

The actual patent is for the optics, not a complete lens. The optics could be put in a lens body with an EF-S mount just as easily as with an EF mount. 

Yeah, right!

The Canon patent is for a EF 200-600mm f/4.5-5.6 IS zoom lens.  It is not for a EF-S.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Yeah, right!

The Canon patent is for a EF 200-600mm f/4.5-5.6 IS zoom lens.  It is not for a EF-S.

I was testing one of those lenses last night.  Then I woke up and smelled the coffee.  Smiley Surprised

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements