cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS for Rebel (in newer DSLR photographer's hands)

amatula
Enthusiast

Hi,

I am headed for England in two weeks and thought to upgrade my Canon SL1 lens (I currently use the standard 18-55 IS lens).

Since my shots tend to be landscape (70%), people (20%), and action (10%) approximately, I was thinking this lens might be good:

Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS (https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/lenses/ef/wide-angle/ef-24mm-f-2-...).

I am thinking this particular lens for these reasons:

- the F2.8 aperture for low light shooting

- wide angle / landscape

- has image stabilization

- sharper than the standard lens (from what I have read anyway)

But I recall someone mentioning that as a newer DSLR photographer, I should be careful with more advanced lens. I am unsure why (why I am a newer DSLR photographer -- there is so much I have yet to learn!).

So my thought is to purchase and take it to England with me (as my sole lens) for mostly landscape photograhy (and I am going to Stonehenge) so I am hoping for some good shots and good technique.

Does anyone see any reasons why this would not be a good choice for me? Or perhaps another lens might work better for my purposes?

Again, my thought is since I am newer with DSLR photography, there are still many things I do not understand and need to continue to work to grow into.  That's why I appreciate this forum so much - I learn from you too (while also knowing that my growth will come as I continue to use the camera/lens).

I just do not want to buy a lens and fail miserably with it on vacation so I welcome any feedback on:

1. This lens (especially in the hands of a newbie)
  2. Other suitable/better lenses for my purposes
  3. Any should-knows as regards using an advanced lens

Thank you again!

Annie

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

24 mm is not that wide on a Rebel, it is equivalent to a 38 mm on a FF camera.

I agree.  A 24mm lens is not very wide on a Rebel.  I'd recommend a wide angle zoom.  Zoom, if it will be your only lens.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/list/lenses/ef/ultra-wide-zoom/ultra-wide...

Image Stabilization is not that critical with a wide lens, not unless you're extremely close to your subject, like a couple of feet.  Even at that close distance, sufficient light and a fast shutter will more than make up for it. 

I think one of the EF-S wide angle zooms at the link would be great.  I prefer the 10-22mm for its' greater zoom range, which is an equivalent a 16-35mm range.  The image quality of the 10-22mm almost rivals that of "L" series lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@amatula wrote:

Hi,

I am headed for England in two weeks and thought to upgrade my Canon SL1 lens (I currently use the standard 18-55 IS lens).

Since my shots tend to be landscape (70%), people (20%), and action (10%) approximately, I was thinking this lens might be good:

Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS (https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/lenses/ef/wide-angle/ef-24mm-f-2-...).

I am thinking this particular lens for these reasons:

- the F2.8 aperture for low light shooting

- wide angle / landscape

- has image stabilization

- sharper than the standard lens (from what I have read anyway)

But I recall someone mentioning that as a newer DSLR photographer, I should be careful with more advanced lens. I am unsure why (why I am a newer DSLR photographer -- there is so much I have yet to learn!).

So my thought is to purchase and take it to England with me (as my sole lens) for mostly landscape photograhy (and I am going to Stonehenge) so I am hoping for some good shots and good technique.

Does anyone see any reasons why this would not be a good choice for me? Or perhaps another lens might work better for my purposes?

Again, my thought is since I am newer with DSLR photography, there are still many things I do not understand and need to continue to work to grow into.  That's why I appreciate this forum so much - I learn from you too (while also knowing that my growth will come as I continue to use the camera/lens).

I just do not want to buy a lens and fail miserably with it on vacation so I welcome any feedback on:

1. This lens (especially in the hands of a newbie)
  2. Other suitable/better lenses for my purposes
  3. Any should-knows as regards using an advanced lens

Thank you again!

Annie

If you got the Canon kit your SL1 came with the EF-S 18-55 IS STM lens. The STM version of that lens has very good image quality. So you would have very little gain in image quality. Also at 24mm your 18-55 IS STM has an f/4 aperture. So you are really only gaining one stop in aperture.

There will be people here who tell you that you need a new lens and that is poppycock. The advantage of the SL1 is its small size, light weight, and fantastic image quality. The EF-S 18-55 IS STM lens is an integral part of that concept, it small, light weight and has very good image quality.

If you are looking for a wider angle lens, add the EF-S 10-18 IS STM lens to your kit. It has the best image quality of the two ultra wide angle EF-S lenses available (despite being half the cost).

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Annie,

[Edited for Forum content violition] The best advice is to avoid primes of any type right now.  They are generally a specific use lens and the IQ of today's zooms rivals some primes.  Other than that reason, if the 24mm does it for you, get it.

I will throw in a second choice for you.  The Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens. It has a great price point for what it is.  It is simply outstanding and on a cropper it makes a good all around general purpose lens. Top of the line IQ.  This is a pro level lens and no matter what letters, STM, or whatever, those are beginner lenses.  Lense are where it's at so the better the lens the better the result. If you feel it is time to upgrade, the Tokina would be a good choice.  But it is just one example there are others, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"So my thought is to purchase and take it to England with me (as my sole lens) for mostly landscape photograhy (and I am going to Stonehenge) so I am hoping for some good shots and good technique."

Good technique.  Wide angle lenses can easily distort square and rectangular shapes into trapezoids.  This type of distortion is called keystoning.  Keystoning can cause the vertical lines of a building to lean inwards.

IMG_2015_09_190383.WEB.jpg

Rebel T5, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - 10mm, 1/500, f/8, ISO-100

Keystoning can be minimized, and usually completely eliminated, by simply leveling the camera, and not allowing the lens to angle upwards or downwards in the slightest.  The above shot was taken with the lens angled upwards slightly.  The distortion is readily apparent.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements