cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 24-70 F2.8 mk11 focusing issues

Dash
Apprentice

Hi, I covered a wedding yesterday. Used a 5Dmk111 and a Canon EF 24-70 F2.8 mk11. A lot of my shots were at 24-30mm @ f2.8 or f3.2 and a large proportion of these were out of focus. The chosen focus point was in centre but the focus in the shots was at extreme left or right! I used the same camera body with a 70-200 F2.8 L without trouble.

The 24-70 lens is only 10 months old.

Been shooting for the last 30 years, so can confidently say "human error" is unlikely.

Has anyone else had this problem?

18 REPLIES 18

"... the 24-70 2.8 MkII (I wish there was a IS version of the f2.8l"

I would guess you will get your wish.  The next upgrade of this lens will probably have IS.  In the meantime if you think it such a necessity, both the Tamron and Sigma models have IS or OS or VC or some other S !  The Tamron works well but the Sigma is just a switch on the side of the lens. 

At one time no lens had IS and guess what we still managed to get the shots.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@sandyn wrote:

It is the 24-70 2.8 MkII (I wish there was a IS version of the f2.8!:-) )

I see your point, but the Mk II is already big and heavy enough.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I see your point, but the Mk II is already big and heavy enough."

Not wishing for it or opposed to it, but the other makers seem to be able to include image stabilization.  IMHO, image stabilization isn't a deal breaker or maker.  It is the best lens of its kind made. All comers, no question.

"...big and heavy enough."

How about price?  IS goes in, price goes up!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I see your point, but the Mk II is already big and heavy enough."

Not wishing for it or opposed to it, but the other makers seem to be able to include image stabilization.  IMHO, image stabilization isn't a deal breaker or maker.  It is the best lens of its kind made. All comers, no question.

"...big and heavy enough."

How about price?  IS goes in, price goes up!

Yeah, that too. But I already have a 24-70 II, so I don't care what they do next.

Used the 24-70 (and occasionally the 70-200) in a volunteer photo shoot at our local library the other day. It went well enough that the client was pleased.  8^)

Bob

"It went well enough that the client was pleased."

And there lies the bottom line.  No spec, no review , no MTF chart, no nothing, matters as long as the client is "pleased".

EB

Sksherwani
Apprentice
Oh yes it’s USM not IS

Sksherwani
Apprentice
Oh yes it’s USM not IS, what’s a different between IS and USM I didn’t notice this before

@Sksherwani wrote:
Oh yes it’s USM not IS, what’s a different between IS and USM I didn’t notice this before

USM is the type of autofocus motor.

IS ("Image Stabilization") is a method of correcting for camera shake.

Bob

"Oh yes it’s USM not IS, what’s a different between IS and USM I didn’t notice this before"

Wanting to drop two grand on a lens you may want to educate yourself better on what the lenses actually are and the nomenclature.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements