cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro lens issue

calamityganons
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am having a slight issue with this lens at the moment. All of a sudden the focusing on this lens doesn't seem as good as it was? It doesn't seem as sharp. I didn't have an issue with it before, it was always taking superb and clear pictures but now it seems blurry, not clear and almost hazy in areas. Is there anybody that could help me with this please?

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera?

Are you seeing this in the viewfinder or the image on the computer?

If the view finder, you might have moved the diopter adustment.

calamityganons
Contributor

The diopter and viewfinder are fine it's the actual image. Not sure what's happening.

It's the Canon 2000D as well.

Does it happen in Live view, too?

Does it happen with IS off?

It doesn't seem as unfocused/blurry in live view

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... it was always taking superb and clear pictures but now it seems blurry, not clear and almost hazy in areas."

You are comparing comparable shots?  Photos taken at different times, different situations, different conditions will display different IQ.  It is unlikely but not impossible there is something wrong with the lens.

A before and after sample would be good if you can u/l a few.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I don't think it's a lens issue because it does it with every other lens as well (I've checked). It's really bizarre because my technique isn't off, I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary but now it's like it can't quite get the detail. It will focus but not properly... I think it may be the camera body but don't know why there would be such a drop in performance

I know it started off as thinking it was this lens but after trying all the others and getting the same result I've deduced it's the camera.

Try manually focusing the lens if you haven't already to see if it is an AF issue.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Yeah I mostly use manual focus and it's just the same, just not quite catching the details as it once did. It used to take such clear detailed pictures and now this...?

Is it just that the subject is out of focus, or is the whole picture blurry? If it's the latter, make sure that you haven't inadvertently told the camera to use an unusually slow shutter speed. Motion blur can be confused with OOF unless you scrutinize the image very carefully.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements