cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 100-400 f/4-5.6L with 2x extender

davikokar
Contributor

Do you use the 100-400mm in combination with 2x extender ? What do you think about this combination ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@GeorgeMwrote:

I must be doing something wrong. I have “live view” enabled in my EOS 70D and the switch on the back of the camera is set to live view. I am using a 2x ii extender. Autofocus will not work. When I try to focus on an object, the f stop setting is flashing on the display. Any suggestions?

What shooting mode are you using.  Try using M mode.  How many focus points are you using?  Use just the center one in the viewfinder, and then try Live View, although I do not think that will really help.

The minimum aperture is probably too high.  With the adapter, you will get a minimum range of f/8-11.  You say the f/stop is flashing.  What value of f/stop is it displaying as it flashes?

The EF 2x models are not recommended for use with lenses with minimum apertures exceeding f/4.  The extender instruction manual can tell you which combinations of lenses it is compatible with.  You camera instruction manual should tell you which focus points would be available, which in this case I would expect none to be available in the viewfinder.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" If you engage image stability during focusing is like having it on a tripod."

It all depends on what your standards are and what results are pleasing to you. If you are happy with that shot, great. Personally I would not be.

Actually, I thought that shot looked pretty good. Could you elaborate on what you thought was wrong with it?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Generally soft overall
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:
Generally soft overall

That "overall" softness looks to me like a DOF issue. The bitd's eve and bill seem as sharp as the size limitation of images posted here will allow.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:
Generally soft overall

That "overall" softness looks to me like a DOF issue. The bitd's eve and bill seem as sharp as the size limitation of images posted here will allow.

No, the image is soft overall.  There are ways to post sharp, detailed photos in the forums.

01B454B6-20F4-47F1-9BB9-17E0A756CA5B.jpeg

I do it all the time.  You have to put a little thought into how you compress the image.

Check out the resolution of the above image.  It is a 38MP panorama.

1BBF758A-88EF-4447-84F2-5A796D1C523E.jpeg

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:
Generally soft overall

CA02D4C1-893D-41E7-A121-6067B8B525B4.jpeg

What do you think?  I say the image is just as Ernie described.  I'd say that the image seems thoughtfully compressed.  It's soft.

Robert I am not going into great detail if the OP is happy withe it.  Who am I to say?  I might respectively suggest eye glasses update?

EB

I think you are missing the point.  Compression errors were not the reason for my post and no I am not going to blow this image up aand hang it in my living room.  Can you make my image more sharp... yes, of course. My intention here was to show I can get a decent hand held shot with a generic 2X in the mix as a base image. Otherwise, am I showing you what my camera / lens / 2X can do or am I showing what my editing software can do?

If so, then maybe the thread shoud be renamed:  "Canon EF 100-400 f/4-5.6 with 2x extender photo quality after editing potential". 

"My intention here was to show I can get a decent hand held shot ..."

Yes you did and thnax for the example.  However, my friend, it is up to each of us, now, to decide whether that is acceptable. If you are satisfied with your results, more power to you.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
”Otherwise, am I showing you what my camera / lens / 2X can do or am I showing what my editing software can do?”

You showed us what you can do with the gear. Generally speaking, overall softness is usually caused by camera shake, too slow shutter speed, or both.

With an effective focal length of 800mm, I would be in the 1/1600 range or faster.
Announcements