Canon Community Canon Community

caz
New Contributor

Canon AE-1 50 mm lenses

HI-

I have a vintage film AE-1 with several lenses (50mm) and I am getting into photogaphy and will be purchasing a digital SLR.  Would be great to use the lenses I have for the new camera....is this possible?    Thanks.

Product Expert

Re: Canon AE-1 50 mm lenses

Hi Caz,

FD mount lenses are not compatible with EOS Digital cameras.  The FD series lenses use a mechanical lens mount, while the EF lenses (used on the EOS SLR cameras) use an electronic lens mount. There was simply no way to preserve compatibility with the change.

I hope this helps,

Richard

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Respected Contributor

Re: Canon AE-1 50 mm lenses

I am using the FD mount 50mm mounted in reverse on top of my regular 100mm macro lens for macros. This changes my 1:1 macro lens into a 2:1 lens.

You might be able to buy an adaptor to use it with your DSLR the regular way but you wouldn't be able to use autofocus or auto-aperture settings...etc. Canon EF mount 50mm f/1.8 lens is only around $100 and it is very good- there is no need to use the old lens.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr