cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D with Tamron 18-400 lens

stargait
Apprentice

I do mainly bird photography and like the versitiliy of this lens.  However having focus problems.   Lens does beautiful landscapes but when trying to focus on moving object not so good, even with a high shutter speed.   Anyone else using this lens and having this problem?

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Anyone else using this lens and having this problem?"

Any zoom lens with that range is going to have problems.  They will show up more as the shot becomes more difficult.

The Tamron 18-400mm  is a variable aperture lens. Meaning that at 18mm, the maximum aperture is f/3.5. But when you zoom into 400mm, the maximum aperture is f/6.3. Actually it is no longer an f3.5 the mm you move off of 18mm. This is a pretty slow lens in anybodies book.

It also exhibits softness at the long end of that focal length which can become a real issue as you have found out.  I used one once and said "no thanks!"

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

So any suggestions for a new lens that would work better for bird photography that wont break the bank?

Greetings,

Unfortunately, everyone here has a different interpretation of what "breaks their bank".

What's your price range and we can go from there? 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Under $1,000

At just over a thousand, look at the Sigma/Tamron 150-600's

If you want, google "lens rentals" and you can rent one, and if you like it buy the one in your hot little hands.

"Under $1,000"

Great lenses and low price are opposites you know.  But there are some that are close and what I would buy if I already don't have them! Smiley Happy  You really need to keep FL at or above 400mm for shooting birds.  That usually isn't cheap yo do.

Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 for Canon EF at $1400 is probably the best of the group. I know blew right past a grand.

Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF at $999 is nearly as good to just as good in some folks opinion.

How about a prime.  They are very sharp.  You just have to zoom with your feet.

Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens at $1100.

One other option can recommend that uses a tel-con which I normally don't like. But in this case works very well.  Again not cheap but it give you two FLs with a prime's IQ. Not quite a zoom but more versatility.  Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens at $1300 and the 1.4x II tel-con. About $450 if memory serves me.

I shot this Robin with mine yesterday.

_DX_2121.jpg

It is a normal ritual to burn fields off in the Spring around these parts.  And, that is where I shot this photo. This combo give you a 420mm f5.6 lens with IS.  It makes a great combo for birds.  It is hand-holdable as it isn't heavy at all.  A little over budget but you don't need to buy both at the same time.  You can add the tel-con at any time.  Just some thoughts.

Don't forget there is always the used market.  Canon "L" lens are extremely well built and will serve for years.

EB

"Under $1,000"

While we are at it, a good post editor is a necessity.  It is mandatory you have one and learn to use it.  I like LR and PS best.

Even the best lens in the world will look better after post editing.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@stargaitwrote:

I do mainly bird photography and like the versitiliy of this lens.  However having focus problems.   Lens does beautiful landscapes but when trying to focus on moving object not so good, even with a high shutter speed.   Anyone else using this lens and having this problem?

I assume that you are using One Shot for landscapes, but continuous shooting and AI Servo for moving objects. That lens may not be focusing fast enough for your frame rate.  You can adjust for that with a camera setting, Image Priiority. 

When using AI Servo, you may want to allow all of the AF points to be active. But, you can tell the camera to always use the center AF point as the initial AF point for focus tracking of moving subjects.

You can go into the AF menus and set “Image Priority” for when you are using AI Servo and Continuous shooting modes.  This setting controls whether or not the shutter will fire before the camera locks focus.  It can be set to “Shutter Priority”, which does not wait for a focus lock. It can be set to “Focus Priority”, which causes the camera to wait for a focus lock befor firing the shutter.  

The default Image Priority setting is somewhere in the middle, which I do not really understand. I set my camera for Focus Priority.  I want the camera to be focus locked when it fires the shutter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements