cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D lense option

Dragonfire665
Contributor

Hello everyone. I bought my wife a Canon 70D and she has the following lenses. Not the best, but they are doing the job for the moment.

Canon EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II

Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II

Canon Zoom EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II

We are going to China at the end of June this year and I am looking to buy her a lense as a gift. One that can take close up photos and some what of distance. I dont want to carry this bag all thru China for 3 weeks. So if I can have her just bring the body and 1 lense that will be great. We are visiting many places, like Beijing, Hong Kong, Shaighai and others so there are many landscapes and close up shots that I will like for her to get.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

39 REPLIES 39

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

How close?

thats a good question. I dont know if my wife is going to be taking food shots, or up close animals or flowers, like she had done before. Just tossing examples here.

That is important. If you need a Macro that can go 1:1, it puts on a big constraint.

Yea I will be honest with you. I wouldnt know. I am still learning when it comes to lenses. As stated I dont know what is out there that can satisfied our needs for this upcoming vacation without losing photo quality.

ScottyP
Authority

I don't think they need or want macro. In China you want scenery in your shots and macro is for tiny things like jewelry or bugs. 

A wide angle lens lens would be a good choice for scenery and wide angle lenses also have good closeup ability for those food shots. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Dragonfire665 wrote:

Hello everyone. I bought my wife a Canon 70D and she has the following lenses. Not the best, but they are doing the job for the moment.

Canon EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II

Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II

Canon Zoom EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II

We are going to China at the end of June this year and I am looking to buy her a lense as a gift. One that can take close up photos and some what of distance. I dont want to carry this bag all thru China for 3 weeks. So if I can have her just bring the body and 1 lense that will be great. We are visiting many places, like Beijing, Hong Kong, Shaighai and others so there are many landscapes and close up shots that I will like for her to get.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

The best one lens solution for the 70D is the EF-S 18-135 IS STM lens. Be sure to get the STM version. Yes it is that much better!

18-135 is an excellent one-lens solution.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

No, you want the *new* USM version, it is that much better!*

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/lenses/ef/standard-zoom/ef-s-18-1...

*Now with more NANO!

@kvbarkley wrote:

No, you want the *new* USM version, it is that much better!*

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/lenses/ef/standard-zoom/ef-s-18-1...

*Now with more NANO!

Other than the ability to use the Power Zoom adapter, I'm not aware of any other advantages for the Nano version over the STM version.

Image quality is identical and to my knowledge build quality is similar. 

Announcements