cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70-200mm IS USM II with Canon rebel t2i (550d)

kdmraja
Contributor

Hi,

can some one shed some light on canon 70-200mm IS USm ii with Canon 550d or Rebel T2i.

recently purchased this lens and start clicking... However, i am getting feedback from friends that the pic has little noisy though my ISO is around 200 only.  Any thoughts.  Anything i am doing wrongly? pl help me out...

thank you

best regards

raja k

16 REPLIES 16

ScottyP
Authority
ISO 200 should not be noisy, even on an older Rebel.

Are you:
1.) cropping/blowing up the image a lot, or
2.). Increasing the exposure (brightening) a lot in post processing?

Blowing it up makes grain more visible while decreasing detail, which looks a lot like a high ISO image. Boosting exposure creates noise in post production.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

...but a lens cannot create noise. Noise comes from the sensor, and gets worse the higher you set the ISO.

If it isn't from excessive cropping or excessive exposure diddling in post processing, it may not be noise at all but rather some other image quality issue. Can you post a sample image?

Also, are you shooting JPG or RAW. If ou are shooting JPG and making significant adjustments to white balance, exposure, contrast, etc., in post processing, the image will turn ugly on you if you go too far. Try shooting in RAW because it allows much more post processing before the image quality suffers.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you, Scott for your reply.

Yes, i did shoot in JPEG and cropped a bit.  I used to shoot in RAW and do very little PP.  I wish to bring sharpness in the images so trying to do in JPEG format and just experiementing.  Somehow the sharpness is missing as well getting grains.  My friend has nikkon without IS and clarity in the pictures are very good.  Definintely i am doing something wrong!! 

IMG_8983.JPGIMG_8986.JPG 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Scott is correct.  The lens does not create noise.  But cropping doesn't either.  Cropping can make what noise is there to be more ugly, though.

When light hits the sensor's photo diodes, electrons are produced in order to transfer the light to the camera sensor. Electronic "noise" is the unwanted fluctuations in this signal. In a digital camera, noise manifests itself as speckles, usually colored and patternless. As the ISO is increased, the amplification of the electronic signal is increased.  This causes heat and heat can cause noise. It can be caused by imperfections in the sensor itself such as "hot pixels", also.  The distribution of  more limited numbers of photons available at low light levels is the biggest cause of noise.

How does the camera do with other lenses?  Try the 70-200mm on a different camera, too.  I can't imagine it is the lens, however.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thank you ebiggs!  Thanks for clarifying me on the electronic noise.  Let me try your suggestion on trying in other camera.  AS you people pointed out, i did shoot in JPEG and cropped as well.  In response to scott's, i posted two pictures.  Pl comment.  

Shooting RAW as opposed to jpg will not greatly influence how sharp the picture is.  It could but not likely.  But for the best images unfortunately you have to PP.  It is mandatory and is not an option.  RAW is usually the best place to start but not always.

The biggest cause of on sharpness is OOF.  Focus is critical if you want the best.  As much is personal technique is.

Did you mention which brand_n camera your friend is using and lens?  I shoot both, I have for years and years, and I can easily tell you there is no better lens made than the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II.  None! Period!   Everybodies lens in the catagory is very sharp, including the entries from Tamron and Sigma.  Easily giving Canon and Nikon a run.

Remember when using that lens on a Rebel you are really talking a 112-320mm lens.  This is beginning to be some strong focal length.  SS below 1/500 are going to be more of a challenge for utmost sharpness.

When you do your comparing try to keep apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

EB

Viewing images on the web to evaulate sharpness is futile.  The res is just too low.

However, looking over your exif data, you have about the worse settings for sharpness you can.

f2.8, 190mm (really 304mm) @ 1/160 with the ISO set to 400 is not going to deliver the sharpest photos possible.

Especially on a T2i.  Consider your DOF at those settings.

The SS should be the reciprocal of the focal length.  IE, in this case the closest would be 1/500.  Most lenses do not do their best at their widest aperture, IE f2.8.  So a stop down or two like f4 or f5.6 is going to deliver sharper pictures.

Pacasa is not on the top of the list for PP.

Just my 2 cents and worth every penny.

EB

hi ebiggs!.... higly appreciate your comments, inputs and definitely i am considering to improve my skills.

sweet point for 70-200mm should be f4 / 5.6 and trying that.  Let me post some picture soon.

Reciprocal of focus length is working well when its a sunny day and outside home.  Otherwise what is the parameter to be adjusted for the same.  for me, going beyond ISO 400 gives noisy / grainy.

I know am asking you lot of basic questions, pl bear with me!  

Insane, i was using picasa for PP!  

70-200 is ii is the new gear i bought out of my own interest and no second thoughts, regret at all... with T2i, comptability etc i wish to learn more... 

Just wanted to explore more and how best i can use the existing gear now... my friend has Nikon d60 and nikkor/tamron/sigma 55-300 Non VR. FYI only.

For me the pictures are over sharped and because of that full of noise. Upload a raw file and we will be able to help you better.

Announcements