Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
VIP
Posts: 10,933
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II not sharp at 200mm

Of course a screen shot is not conclusive evidence but none of those look good to me.  Whether 200mm or not. You need to either do the test on a good tripod or send the lens to Canon. If I were shooting for a client, they would see none of them. I wish I could come and shoot with you so we could figure out just what is going on.

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, III USM Lens is the sharpest zoom lens made in this category.  They simply are the best of the best.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,881
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II not sharp at 200mm


@garymui wrote:

Waddizzle - hope you saw that the Section 1 State Qualifier (not Championships) got rescheduled to today and tomorrow at 5pm (due to rain yesterday).  My daughter just runs tomorrow so I'll just be there tomorrow.


No, I did not.  But, it did rain cats and dogs yesterday.  I hope to be at the meet tomorrow, shooting from behind the fence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,897
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II not sharp at 200mm


@ebiggs1 wrote:

Of course a screen shot is not conclusive evidence but none of those look good to me.  Whether 200mm or not. You need to either do the test on a good tripod or send the lens to Canon. If I were shooting for a client, they would see none of them. I wish I could come and shoot with you so we could figure out just what is going on.

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, III USM Lens is the sharpest zoom lens made in this category.  They simply are the best of the best.


Just out of curiosity, how often does it occur that two members of the forum actually do have a chance to go on a shoot together?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,881
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II not sharp at 200mm


@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Of course a screen shot is not conclusive evidence but none of those look good to me.  Whether 200mm or not. You need to either do the test on a good tripod or send the lens to Canon. If I were shooting for a client, they would see none of them. I wish I could come and shoot with you so we could figure out just what is going on.

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, III USM Lens is the sharpest zoom lens made in this category.  They simply are the best of the best.


Just out of curiosity, how often does it occur that two members of the forum actually do have a chance to go on a shoot together?


Rarely, I suppose.  It just might happen later today.  But, we have no idea what one another look like.  I'll be the tall guy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-22-2019

Re: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II not sharp at 200mm

Yeah, I've always loved this lens.  It's always been sharper than my 24-70 2.8L.  I gotta find time to really do some correct testing.  Surprisingly my wife is just telling me to get a new one!  Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-22-2019

Re: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II not sharp at 200mm

I'll be the medium-height asian guy and will be there for sure.  My daughter's in one of the first events (Div 2 Girls Steeple) and last events (4x400).  

 

Waddizzle - are you taking pics for the media or for a particular team?

 

I mostly take pics for our school's team (Byram Hills) but now also take photos for a lot of kids we know on other teams.

 

I'll keep an eye out for you!

Gary

VIP
Posts: 10,933
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II not sharp at 200mm

" It's always been sharper than my 24-70 2.8L."

 

This would also bother me as it is not. I think a trip to Canon is in order.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
VIP
Posts: 10,933
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II not sharp at 200mm

"Just out of curiosity, how often does it occur that two members of the forum actually do have a chance to go on a shoot together?"

 

Never on this forum but I did meet some folks on a couple different forums. I even traveled to Chicago to see one fellow.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,881
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II not sharp at 200mm

[ Edited ]

@garymui wrote:

I'll be the medium-height asian guy and will be there for sure.  My daughter's in one of the first events (Div 2 Girls Steeple) and last events (4x400).  

 

Waddizzle - are you taking pics for the media or for a particular team?

 

I mostly take pics for our school's team (Byram Hills) but now also take photos for a lot of kids we know on other teams.

 

I'll keep an eye out for you!

Gary


I am going to have to pass on attending.   I got an text message telling me that a coworker who went home feeling sick the other day has Shingles.  Maybe the State Championships after I get myself checked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-22-2019

Re: Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II not sharp at 200mm

Hope you check out healthy! 

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement