cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II not sharp at 200mm

garymui
Contributor

I've been using my Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II for years now and it's always been my favorite lens for sports.  In my last couple outings, I noticed that I was getting a lot of blurry shots and I now realize that they are all my shots taken at full 200mm zoom.  Is it common to have focus go bad just at the long range of a lens?  Seems the same as usual at say 170mm and under.  Could something like this be fixed with AF Microadjustment?  In these cases, nothing is in focus (so it's not focusing on something else).  Do I need to take this in for servicing?

Thanks!

Gary

39 REPLIES 39

Of course a screen shot is not conclusive evidence but none of those look good to me.  Whether 200mm or not. You need to either do the test on a good tripod or send the lens to Canon. If I were shooting for a client, they would see none of them. I wish I could come and shoot with you so we could figure out just what is going on.

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, III USM Lens is the sharpest zoom lens made in this category.  They simply are the best of the best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Of course a screen shot is not conclusive evidence but none of those look good to me.  Whether 200mm or not. You need to either do the test on a good tripod or send the lens to Canon. If I were shooting for a client, they would see none of them. I wish I could come and shoot with you so we could figure out just what is going on.

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, III USM Lens is the sharpest zoom lens made in this category.  They simply are the best of the best.

Just out of curiosity, how often does it occur that two members of the forum actually do have a chance to go on a shoot together?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how often does it occur that two members of the forum actually do have a chance to go on a shoot together?

Rarely, I suppose.  It just might happen later today.  But, we have no idea what one another look like.  I'll be the tall guy.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'll be the medium-height asian guy and will be there for sure.  My daughter's in one of the first events (Div 2 Girls Steeple) and last events (4x400).  

Waddizzle - are you taking pics for the media or for a particular team?

I mostly take pics for our school's team (Byram Hills) but now also take photos for a lot of kids we know on other teams.

I'll keep an eye out for you!

Gary

@garymui wrote:

I'll be the medium-height asian guy and will be there for sure.  My daughter's in one of the first events (Div 2 Girls Steeple) and last events (4x400).  

Waddizzle - are you taking pics for the media or for a particular team?

I mostly take pics for our school's team (Byram Hills) but now also take photos for a lot of kids we know on other teams.

I'll keep an eye out for you!

Gary

I am going to have to pass on attending.   I got an text message telling me that a coworker who went home feeling sick the other day has Shingles.  Maybe the State Championships after I get myself checked.

Hope you check out healthy! 

"Just out of curiosity, how often does it occur that two members of the forum actually do have a chance to go on a shoot together?"

Never on this forum but I did meet some folks on a couple different forums. I even traveled to Chicago to see one fellow.

EB

Yeah, I've always loved this lens.  It's always been sharper than my 24-70 2.8L.  I gotta find time to really do some correct testing.  Surprisingly my wife is just telling me to get a new one!  Smiley Happy

" It's always been sharper than my 24-70 2.8L."

This would also bother me as it is not. I think a trip to Canon is in order.

EB

@garymui wrote:

Waddizzle - hope you saw that the Section 1 State Qualifier (not Championships) got rescheduled to today and tomorrow at 5pm (due to rain yesterday).  My daughter just runs tomorrow so I'll just be there tomorrow.

No, I did not.  But, it did rain cats and dogs yesterday.  I hope to be at the meet tomorrow, shooting from behind the fence.

Announcements