cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70-200 L IS 2.8

luigidionisio
Apprentice

just to confim - i sent my lens to CPS to get my lens reapaired , and they told me that the Canon 70-200 L IS usm 2.8 is at end of life and no parts are avalible , im finding this hard to belive . can someone from canon explian 

thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try Midwest Camera Repair.  They will work on it.

If I remember correctly version one came out in 2004.  That makes it over 12 years old and a replacement model was released.  Everything comes to an end.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

And then... the R3 is announced... Maybe I should wait.

@NCAmateur wrote:
And then... the R3 is announced... Maybe I should wait.

I think that is the correct move.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you ebiggs and jrhoffman... I will wait until I can't wait. And I will report back once I have shot the R3... or the R5 if I can't wait. I appreciate the guidance.

If you need something soon the R5 with the 100-500 might meet your needs.  I don't shoot low light very much so I don't know how the R5/100-500 would do indoors, but I have been very happy with it.  The problem with the RF tele-converters is the amount of the front extends into the lens.  Even with the 100-500 the lens must be extended to at least 300mm for it to mount.

At long last and with a lot of advice (all apprecited) I went with the R5 and the Canon 70-200 L ISII 2.8 w/ an adapter. I chose the Canon 70-200 L ISII 2.8 over the new lens because:

The RF lens might be really cool but I do not think it is substantially better than the II.

I would have gotten the III but it is not available,

But the main reason is:

The RF lens extends out of the body of the lens and retracts into it - and I should 80% outdoors. That means 80% of the time I am exposing the outer half of the lens to dirt and pollen and then retracting it back into the lens. That can't be good. The II is fully encased. I may lose a little, but I think the gains are great. And the II with an adapter was about $1,700 and the RF lens is $2,700.

So... shortly I will be shooting the R5 with the Canon 70-200 L ISII 2.8 and the extra battery/handle.

Give me a couple of weeks and I will let you all know how that turned out.

"The RF lens extends out of the body of the lens and retracts into it ..."

I doubt that is a serious problem or even a problem at all. There are many examples of lenses that do that. There has been for years and years. The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens extends and retracts upon zoom too. It is likely the biggest selling Canon lens of all.

EB

Perhpas it is not a problem... but I do shoot a lot outside...

And as a very wiseman once told me, "Use your gear and don’t look back."

I will report on the progress.

Hmmm, I heard that somewhere!  Smiley Happy

EB

@NCAmateur wrote:

Thank you ebiggs and jrhoffman... I will wait until I can't wait. And I will report back once I have shot the R3... or the R5 if I can't wait. I appreciate the guidance.

Congrats on the new purchase.  Check to see if the R5 has a crop mode, which I think it does.  You may not need or want to use the teleconverter in crop mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens. I have had it for years and it is my second most favorite lens ever!

It is a fantastic lens and the best 70-200mm ever made. Well, I suppose the III is a tad better with the new lens coating.  People make light of just adding a lens coating and calling it an upgrade but in fact it really is an improvement. It is a difficult and expensive process to apply and it does help in certain situations.

BTW, if curious the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens is my most favorite and most used lens.

EB
Announcements