cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70-200 L IS 2.8

luigidionisio
Apprentice

just to confim - i sent my lens to CPS to get my lens reapaired , and they told me that the Canon 70-200 L IS usm 2.8 is at end of life and no parts are avalible , im finding this hard to belive . can someone from canon explian 

thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try Midwest Camera Repair.  They will work on it.

If I remember correctly version one came out in 2004.  That makes it over 12 years old and a replacement model was released.  Everything comes to an end.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

Midwest Camera Repair... called them. Super nice. 6 months for a repair that lens... might get shorter depending on availability, but right now... 6 months. I think... buy a new camera, buy a new lens, send off the old lens and when I get it back I have another camera with a great lens...

What do you think about that?

"What do you think about that?"

Only you can make that call. If new parts are not available, the only source is another broken lens that is broken for a different reason than yours.

EB

"...buy a new camera, buy a new lens,..."

Buy what?  It isn't a very good idea to buy a new DSLR at this point. Especially if you need lenses too. So, EF lenses are not the best idea either. The future is mirrorless and R series lenses. The outstanding line-up of DSLR cameras right now is fantastic. The 90D and 5D Mk IV, the 6D Mk II and the flagship 1DX Mk III.  But there won't be anymore.  There won't be any new EF lenses either.

If I had a full stable of EF lenses, hey wait a minute I do have a full stable of EF lenses Smiley Happy, and I needed a new DSLR, I might pop for the 90D. Otherwise, I would get a new R series mirrorless body. I might be a little different than the average or 'normal' person because I would wait for the forth coming R1 body.

EB

I am thinking R5 and RF 70-200 2.8. Then sending off my EF 70-200 for repair.

I shoot almost exclusively high school sports.

The R5 seems to be a great camera for that and the lens is... the lens.

I was on Canon's website and looked at the two extenders - I use a 2X now in some situations - and it seems neither is compatible with the 70-200 which makes no sense.

I do not have a stable of EF lenses. 

"I am thinking R5 and RF 70-200 2.8. Then sending off my EF 70-200 for repair."

I'm all in for ya!  Good choice. Smiley Happy However, I doubt you ever use the old DSLR gear after you get the R5 and new R lens! You might try sellig the old lens for parts or as is on eBay.

EB

I was actually thinking I may need the DLSR because I have the 70-200 with the 2x. It appears that the RF 70-200  does not accept the extender. But maybe they will fix that... or fix the website with the compatibility information.

@NCAmateur wrote:

I was actually thinking I may need the DLSR because I have the 70-200 with the 2x. It appears that the RF 70-200  does not accept the extender. But maybe they will fix that... or fix the website with the compatibility information.

You must be reading something different from what I have read.  There are separate extenders made for the RF and EF mounts.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes there are separate extenders for the RF and the EF mounts but... for the RF extenders... Canon says:

"This extender is only compatible with the following RF lenses RF600mm F11 IS STM, RF800mm F11 IS STM, RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM. Use is not accessible with previous RF lenses. Additionally, please see the lens and/or camera body manual for full compatibility information with the Extender RF1.4x."

So it would seem the RF extender is not compatible with the RF 70-200.

Sorry I was not clearer.

If I was you I would ditch the 2x tel-con idea altogether.  If you must, use the Extender RF1.4x.  It seems to work well on the EF side with the 70-200mm f2.8 zoom family.

I would almost bet you that a cropped native EF or RF 70-200mm f2.8L lens photo is just as good compared to a compatible uncropped 1.4x tel-con photo. Perhaps even better but I don't like extenders so I do whatever needed to not use them.

EB

The "whatever" I would need is a fixed 400 or 600 with the accompanying price tag... ouch... but maybe.

Announcements