cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70-200 L IS 2.8

luigidionisio
Apprentice

just to confim - i sent my lens to CPS to get my lens reapaired , and they told me that the Canon 70-200 L IS usm 2.8 is at end of life and no parts are avalible , im finding this hard to belive . can someone from canon explian 

thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try Midwest Camera Repair.  They will work on it.

If I remember correctly version one came out in 2004.  That makes it over 12 years old and a replacement model was released.  Everything comes to an end.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Surely you jest!!"   Surely!  Smiley Wink

Didn't your most recent pean (?) to film in this forum take place less than a week ago?

As a hobby for funsy.  Don't take things so seriously there Robert.  Smiley Happy

"paean". The one time I get cocky and don't spellcheck, ...  Smiley Frustrated

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ThatEOSGuy
Apprentice

I know I'm late to the party here, but...I feel your pain.

I was told the exact same thing when I took my first gen version to the CPS center in Burbank last week.

I got mine in 2007.

luigidionisio
Apprentice

just got an email from Canon Rumor : 

here is a list of 

These products have reached the end of their service period and will no longer be eligible for CPS:

• EOS 50D
  • EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • Extender EF1.4x II
  • Extender EF2x II
  • Battery Grip BG-E2

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com#ixzz4aaBJj4cg

@luigidionisio wrote:

here is a list of 

These products have reached the end of their service period and will no longer be eligible for CPS:

• EOS 50D
  • EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • Extender EF1.4x II
  • Extender EF2x II
  • Battery Grip BG-E2

I'm surprised to see the two extenders on the list, since they're only one revision behind the newest of their type.

And I'm irked to see the 50D there, because I still have one. The 50D was one of Canon's best cameras. It seemed to have a low rate of complaints; and like the T2i, it was a significant improvement over its predecessor. I got a lot of good pictures with mine. The only beef I remember having is that it had no IR receiver and therefore couldn't respond to the usual remote triggers.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@luigidionisio wrote:

here is a list of 

• EOS 50D
  • EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • Extender EF1.4x II
  • Extender EF2x II
  • Battery Grip BG-E2

I'm surprised to see the two extenders on the list, since they're only one revision behind the newest of their type.

And I'm irked to see the 50D there, because I still have one. The 50D was one of Canon's best cameras. It seemed to have a low rate of complaints; and like the T2i, it was a significant improvement over its predecessor. I got a lot of good pictures with mine. The only beef I remember having is that it had no IR receiver and therefore couldn't respond to the usual remote triggers.

I have worked for a manufacturer of electronic items before, and I have seen what end of support looks like from the inside..  It is highly probable that Canon has run out of stock on ALL [types] of the spare parts for those products, most likely because the assemblies and their sub-components are no longer manufactured. [Canon may only have had partial inventory of spare parts for those products.]

If I were in Canon's shoes, I would sell off the remaining inventory of parts for those items to a third party who wants to offer repair services on those items.  No doubt, there are third parties out there who might be eager to snatch up Canon's inventory.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

t was last sold 7 years ago, so they are beyond the legally required time to service it.

The below wording is California Law.

Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product.

I realize this is an old topic but I have a different question or series of questions.

I have this lens and it is fantastic. It was dropped last month. It broke the filter but... it works fine but the whole assembly is now noticeably loose. Surely someone knows how to tighten that up... right? Who would that be?

Also, I shoot almost entirely sports. I am shooting the EOS 70D.

It is time for me to get another primary camera. What do I get? And what lens is recommended?

I shoot basketball (indoors), football (night time under the lights) and rugby (mostly full day light).

Thank you for any advice.

@NCAmateur wrote:

I realize this is an old topic but I have a different question or series of questions.

I have this lens and it is fantastic. It was dropped last month. It broke the filter but... it works fine but the whole assembly is now noticeably loose. Surely someone knows how to tighten that up... right? Who would that be?

Also, I shoot almost entirely sports. I am shooting the EOS 70D.

It is time for me to get another primary camera. What do I get? And what lens is recommended?

I shoot basketball (indoors), football (night time under the lights) and rugby (mostly full day light).

Thank you for any advice.

Welcome to the forum. 

You seem to to have two issues here. Were you experiencing issues in your shooting before you dropped the lens?  If so, what were they? That would provide insight on whether your 70D needs to be upgraded. 

I would recommend that you send your lens to either Canon or a reliable third-party repair facility to have it thoroughly checked out. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It would seem that Canon will not take it because of its age. Although, I have not checked with anyone in person or on the phone, only online, I will try tomorrow. Do you have a recommendation for a reputable repairer?

"Do you have a recommendation for a reputable repairer?"

Midwest Camera Repair in Michigan.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements