cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70-200 L IS 2.8

luigidionisio
Apprentice

just to confim - i sent my lens to CPS to get my lens reapaired , and they told me that the Canon 70-200 L IS usm 2.8 is at end of life and no parts are avalible , im finding this hard to belive . can someone from canon explian 

thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try Midwest Camera Repair.  They will work on it.

If I remember correctly version one came out in 2004.  That makes it over 12 years old and a replacement model was released.  Everything comes to an end.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@luigidionisio wrote:

just to confim - i sent my lens to CPS to get my lens reapaired , and they told me that the Canon 70-200 L IS usm 2.8 is at end of life and no parts are avalible , im finding this hard to belive . can someone from canon explian 

thanks 

That is tough luck.  You have the initial release of that magnificent lens, which I believe was discontinued when it was superseded by the release of a version II in 2010.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle wrote:

luigidionisio wrote:

thanks 

That is tough luck.  You have the initial release of that magnificent lens, which I believe was discontinued when it was superseded by the release of a version II in 2010.

That's really not an excuse. When you shell out the price of an "L" lens, you expect it to last a long time. And you have a right to expect that you can get it repaired during that time.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@luigidionisio wrote:

thanks 

That's really not an excuse. When you shell out the price of an "L" lens, you expect it to last a long time. And you have a right to expect that you can get it repaired during that time.

I'm not making any excuses.  The lens was discontinued several years ago, which I assume would mean that not only did production of the lens cease, but so did the production of parts assemblies for the lens.  

I don't know how many spare parts Canon had on hand when production stopped, but it is a safe bet that thousands and thousands of the lens were in the field being used.  I'm guessing that due to the number of lens out there in need of repair, that Canon may have simply ran out of parts by now.  

I am sure that the folks who bought their lenses many years before the model upgrade were able to get the type of service and performance that you have noted.  I think this model, and maybe some other Canon models, has simply dried up its' supply of spare parts, due in large part to the popularity of the model.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If I remember correctly version one came out in 2004.  That makes it over 12 years old and a replacement model was released.  Everything comes to an end.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Yes, but the current period of rapid progress, fiendish complexity, and early obsolescence has led us into a confrontation with the Law of Unintended Consequences. After all, back in the film days a 12-year-old camera or lens was unremarkable, the idea that one couldn't get it fixed, absurd.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Yes, but the current period of rapid progress, fiendish complexity, and early obsolescence has led us into a confrontation with the Law of Unintended Consequences. After all, back in the film days a 12-year-old camera or lens was unremarkable, the idea that one couldn't get it fixed, absurd.

There is a fundamental difference between having spare parts for repairing products that are mostly mechanical in nature and those that are mostly electronic in nature.  I have seen many instances of manufacturers of consumer and commercial electronics no longer being able to support an electronic product simply because some of the computer chips that go into them are no longer produced.

Robert,

" After all, back in the film days ..."

Time to move on Robert in Boston.  Film is obsolete, too.

EB

ebiggs1 wrote:

Robert,

" After all, back in the film days ..."

Time to move on Robert in Boston.  Film is obsolete, too.

Surely you jest!! Didn't your most recent paean to film in this forum take place less than a week ago?

But that is, of course, irrelevant. I wasn't extolling the film days; I was commenting on the fact that progress has its consequences, not all of them what we might have wished for.

Actually, my favorite print shop still develops film. (Only on certain days, though.)

Bob

"Surely you jest!!"   Surely!  Smiley Wink

Didn't your most recent pean (?) to film in this forum take place less than a week ago?

As a hobby for funsy.  Don't take things so seriously there Robert.  Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements