cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5d - Need 2 more lenses for Mark II and will be happy! (for now)

jaydean
Contributor

Thank you all for the last reply and info regarding a 35mm for my full frame mark II, I am looking for two more lenses and would appreicate any imput on a good balance between cost vs quality in buying them.

I am looking for a decent 50mm and a stock lens or stock alternative lense that ranges from 24-105mm (the standard stock lens where you can zoom) 

I am a huge fan of the look of prime lenses but would like to have a semi telephoto lens on the go since I bought the body only.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks again

Jay

9 REPLIES 9

cicopo
Elite

Canon's 24-105 L IS is a very good lens for the money when bought either as used from someone who bought the kit but didn't really need the lens or from retailers who break up kits. The Canon 50 f 1.4 also gets good reviews for IQ but not always for build (seems it can't get bumped about much) & I've read a lot of recommendations to protect the front of it with a lens hood for that reason.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

The EF 24-105mm f/4L is great lens.  It's even better when you can get it from Canon's Refurbished Outlet Store because it comes with a one year warranty.  I bought one from there and save BIG $$$ over the list price.  I see a link to the online store in the lower right corner of the forum pages.

I bought the EF 50 f/1.8 STM and have had great results with it.  It is surprising good for the price.  I have repeated thought about getting a better 50mm, but I keep asking myself, "For what?"  The only reason I would upgrade would be for speed, and so far I have not had any consistent need for more speed when I use it.  In fact, I have never found myself wanting.  The f/1.8 is plenty fast enough for me, the enthusiastic hobbyist.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A big 1+ on the ef 24-105mm f4L.  You just can't wrong with it.  If you want a 50mm go for the ef 50mm f1.4.  The f1.8's are just not in the same class as the f1.4 in many ways.  The older f1.8 is a throw away lens!  The newer one is somewhat better but not much.  A 50mm prime is a pretty limited use lens anymore.  You might want to think about it.

However, the Canon ef 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is probably the best buy Canon has.  Give it a look see. They run about $300 bucks brand spanking new and are well worth it.

BTW, you can find the ef 24-105mm f4 USM in a 'white box' version.  It will be greatly discounted and unlike the refurbished lenses, is a brand new lens with a brand new warranty. (Meaning it never had any issues or problems like refurbished may have.)

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"The older f1.8 is a throw away lens!  The newer one is somewhat better but not much.  A 50mm prime is a pretty limited use lens anymore.  You might want to think about it."  

That is exactly why I went for the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, which is 1/4 the cost of the f/1.4.  I don't use it as much as my standard zoom, 24-105 f/4L. But, I do love the look of shots taken with 35mm and 50mm lenses on a 35mm camera, though.

I mainly use the 50mm when I want to take pictures without looking like Joe the Pro Photographer, with a big lens.  Other times I use it when I know the weather conditions are not ideal, like on a windy day at the beach, or near the water.  Some days I use it when I am out practicing, like taking shots of something red all day...or pretend I'm that guy who made a career out of shooting almost exclusively at 50mm.

Many times I'll use the Rebel T5 with either the 24mm or 40mm pancake lenses, so it looks like I am using a typical point and shoot at first glance.  Remember, I'm a city guy, New York City.  Traveling light, and with a low profile, is highly desireable.

ScottyP
Authority

Are you SURE you want a 50mm when you have its very close cousin, the 35mm lens?  They are just so close. Most people would space their primes out farther apart.  At least until they have so many lenses they almost have one of everything. 

Typical reasoning would be be to get an 85 to go with a 35. If you had started with the 50 you might have skipped 35 and made a 24 your 2nd purchase. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"I am looking for a decent 50mm and a stock lens or stock alternative lense that ranges from 24-105mm (the standard stock lens where you can zoom) 

I am a huge fan of the look of prime lenses but would like to have a semi telephoto lens on the go since I bought the body only."  

-----------------------------------------

The standard 24-105mm zoom is a great all-purpose lens.  Seeing how you already have a 50mm, which falls right in the middle of the 24-105mm, the next lens choice is up in the air.  What do you like to shoot? I like to shoot landscapes, and cityscapes, primarily.  Al

I faced that same choice once.  What do I get to go with the 24-105mm and a 50mm?  I went for something shorter than 24, and a bit longer than 100mm.  I wanted a 35mm because I had one my old film 35mm.  I wanted everything at once, but I couldn't have that.

Eventually, though, I picked up a 16-35mm f/2.8 wide zoom.  I got both my 35mm, and a wider lens than 24mm, all in one shot.  Fast primes would have been nice, and they still can be.   I already have a 14mm fully manual, prime lens, so having something in that mid-teens that had AF would have been a nice luxury.  

The 16-35mm range is perfect for what I like to shoot the most.  What do you like to shoot, though?

jaydean
Contributor

Awesome, thanks for the replies! I went ahead and bought a used Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 Lens  from amazon and looks like its a great lens for the money!  Thanks again

I wanted to get a 55mm because I have been reading that with a full frame camera such as the 5D that 55mm is more of a realistic capture what the eye sees, that is what turned me on so much about the prime 35mm on my last camera which was a nikon d3100. 

I do not shoot a whole lot but looking to get back into photography 

I generally shoot landscapes or street signs but also love to capture people when I get the time and the energy

Enjoy you new "baby", ah, I mean lens! Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Or do you mean a lensbaby? 8^)

Announcements