cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 50mm 1.2L HELP!!!

shesees
Contributor

I was SUPER excited to upgrade in the 50mm department.  I got the Canon 50mm 1.2 L series just last week.  I ordered it brand new from Adorama.  I put it on my 5D Mark iii and tested it around the yard (with my chickens).  LOVED the quality!  I brought it out in the field with me to shoot an intimate wedding ceremony (20 guests).  It worked fine for the first 1200 or so shots.  Now every 5-6th image looks highly overexposed.  But the settings are exactly the same as the other images!  NO flash being used.  I haven't EVER experienced this with any of my other lenses (I have a lot).  Any advice?

ISO 1600  F2.8  1/320sec
_H2A7613.jpg_H2A7614.jpg

30 REPLIES 30

@MikeSowsun wrote:

The EXIF data is available for both photos. The EXIF data is identical for both photos, and they were taken at the same time. 

That means it doesn't matter what the metering mode was, or what shooting mode the camera was in.  All it means is the lens is defective and it is most likely sticking aperture blades.

My MacPro is showing "Metering Mode = 6".  If you can read it, then please share.  What is it?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Fearing I may be reprimanded again, the lens needs to be tested on a different camera. It has to be confirmed that the lens is at fault first.

Waddizzle is right to query his point.  Just blindly sending the lens back and replacing it with a different lens may not fix the problem.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Matrix metering both images.

#1.jpg

#2.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The suggestion that the aperture blades are sticking and the cause of the issue is a possibility but it is certainly not a probability. Especially in a brand new lens.  It needs to be tested on a different camera. This is too simply to argue or dispute. Just give it a try on a different camera.  Then if it still exhibits the same condition, I am all in but not until that happens.

This is as nice as I can be Mods!

EB

THANK YOU everyone for your responses!  I am an extremely BUSY mother of 2 young boys and now teacher, due to Covid and e-learning.  I have the early mornings and weekends to do business related work.  

My husband and I have recently had to purchase a new water heater, cooking range, refrigerator, dishwasher, washing machine, and air conditioning unit among other things around our home.

When you spend over $1000 on a brand new product, I really expect that it should be in exceptional working order right out of the box.  Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic, but when I am purchasing a TOP OF THE LINE lens, I don't want to have to worry about it being a LEMON and having to go back and forth with Canon on getting it fixed... or having them presume it's NOT the lens (when all logical testing suggests that it is).

For shi*s and giggles, I will test the 50mm on my other camera body today.  I'm rather confident the issues will arise yet again.  

I do appreciate all the feedback and suggestions, but I am 95% certain I will be sending this lens back to Adorama.

THANK YOU ALL and enjoy this beautiful day!

" I will test the 50mm on my other camera body today."

Great!  Smiley Happy   If it exhibts the same issue then you will have confirmed it is the lens at fault. If it does not than a new replacement lens will not help. If you need help at Adorama contact Helen Oster.  She is excellent to work with and will make it right.

Pretty nice, don't you think, Mods? Smiley Wink

EB

You're a superstar, Ernie! Heart

Smiley Happy

EB

For what it's worth, when troubleshooting over the phone, we'd always ask you to test a "faulty" lens on another body, if you have one available, just to rule out the possibility that your body might be sending incorrect information to the lens, or that it's a wonky setting. 

We'd also, usually prefer for you to send the "faulty" lens along with your camera body so that we can reproduce the situation not only on our precision calibrated equipment, but also on your equipment - again, to rule out every situation. This will often prevent a lot of shipping back and forth of equipment, and take much less troubleshooting time - I used to telll people we like to test your equipment with your equipment, then we test your equipment with our equipment, and see where the faults lie, then we take it from there. 

Far more often than not, if just a lens is sent, we put it on our precision testing equipment, and nothing seems to be wrong. We double-check it, verify everything, and then send it back. When the problem pops back up, we have to have everything sent back in and start from square one.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Agree Mike. Thanks for your input.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements