cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 50mm 1.2L HELP!!!

shesees
Contributor

I was SUPER excited to upgrade in the 50mm department.  I got the Canon 50mm 1.2 L series just last week.  I ordered it brand new from Adorama.  I put it on my 5D Mark iii and tested it around the yard (with my chickens).  LOVED the quality!  I brought it out in the field with me to shoot an intimate wedding ceremony (20 guests).  It worked fine for the first 1200 or so shots.  Now every 5-6th image looks highly overexposed.  But the settings are exactly the same as the other images!  NO flash being used.  I haven't EVER experienced this with any of my other lenses (I have a lot).  Any advice?

ISO 1600  F2.8  1/320sec
_H2A7613.jpg_H2A7614.jpg

30 REPLIES 30

Peter
Authority
Authority

May be sticky  blades. If that is the case the aperture will not close down to f/2.8 even if the camera reports it in Exif. My Fujifilm X100 had sticky aperture. Always f/2.

A way to check is to compare the depth of field between the pictures. If the depth of field changes it means the aperture isn't f/2.8.

Return it for a new one.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, it's sort of like if I have to send it in for service, I'm getting a refurbished lens... that should cost less, rather than a pristine NEW lens!

Thank you Peter!  It does appear as if the background is blurred a bit more in the highly overexposed frame... which would definitely lead me to believe sticky blades could be the issue and it's shooting a stop or more wider.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Hold on there partner!  Returning it won't fix a thing if it isn't the lens. It isn't common but certainly not impossible for a camera to miss exposure. I have had it happen and there is nothing wrong with the lens. Before you return it and get the same thing with a different lens, you need to try it on several other, different, cameras. A call to Canon support (1 (800) 652-2666) is also a better choice than returning without some testing. Do the testing first and make the call. You have plenty of time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

To me this sounds like more than a random missed exposure by the camera:  "It worked fine for the first 1200 or so shots.  Now every 5-6th image looks highly overexposed.  But the settings are exactly the same as the other images!"

Also sounds like she is 2+ weeks into the Adorama 30 day return window.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Simple enough, were the exposure settings for the overexposed shots the same as for the well exposed shots?

settings are exatcly the same each and every time it happens.

Yes, I don't want to miss out on the window, so time is definitely of the essence and I'm not sure how it will go sending in to Canon.

Announcements