cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 300mm filters

Lulu
Apprentice

What filters can you use {besides a polarizer} on the Canon 300 mm 2.8 is ll lens?  I understand I need

the drop in 52mm filter holder.  Woman Happy

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Filters, like flashes, are rapidy becoming a thing of the past. With all the corrections you can do in post, filters are not needed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Filters, like flashes, are rapidy becoming a thing of the past. With all the corrections you can do in post, filters are not needed.

How are flashes becoming a thing of the past?  Because of high iso performance and HDR?  Perhaps it makes it less necessary, but the flash is far from obsolete.  Studio, portrait, product, macro, architectural and real estate photography, they will always need flash.  Not to mention just plain old creative photography of those that like the added dimensions that flash can bring, especially with the ease of strobes and wireless triggers.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I disagree... somewhat, but still. Personally I don't like flashes, but I see the need. For example if you take photos where there's light from the windows. Your subject may become dark and a flash gives a nice fill light to compensate. Better results than with post processing.

Filters on the other hand, depending on the filter of course, may be very useful. Currently I am saving for LEE Filters. Neutral gradient filters may help you to take photos where you normally would need to use HDR. Different colour filters emphasize the hue you are looking for without any need for post processing. And you can't get as good long exposure shots during bright sunny day as with Big Stopper.

But you are right that modern post processing tools lower the need for all this. I wouldn't say eliminate, but lower the need.

@Sami wrote:

But you are right that modern post processing tools lower the need for all this. I wouldn't say eliminate, but lower the need.

This has also created an influx of (in my opinion) terribly poor quality HDR in professional environments like Real Estate, Architectural, and I've even seen headshots where they tried to use it.  Don't get me wrong, HDR is a cool technique and has its place, but it doesn't replace proper lighting.   Perhaps with future inprovuments in High ISO noise the results will get even better, but that's a long way off.   I don't think anybody who understands and has professionally used lighting would make such an asinine statement.

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Lulu,

Thank you for asking.

Many of the same types of filters used on other lenses can be used on the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens too.  There are a couple different holders.  One is the 52mm Drop-In Screw-Type Filter Holder, which allows screw-type filters to be used.  The other is the 52mm Drop-In Gelatin Filter Holder, which allows cut gelatin film filters to be used.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements