cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 300mm F2.8 USM IS Soft focus

limvo05
Rising Star

Hello,

While searching for a great deal on the Canon 300mm f2.8 IS mark I, I came across a few reviews suggesting soft focus issues with this lens. I was wondering if anyone experiences the same? Is this an inherent problem with this lens or luck of the draw? Below are some of the comments found on B&H site.

Unreliable and soft focus

Bymurphyslaw

After owing this lens for more than 3 years and struggling with the soft focus issues, I am now convinced that this lens has inherent quality issues and even after a tune up by Canon, i am still seeing soft focus issues inconsistently. I tried the several lens tests on a tripod, however, could not get a consistent result. Now looking at others who have similar issues, I am convinced that this is a faulty product, or atleast I have a lemon. Shame on Canon for producing such flawed products in the top of their product line.

------------------------------------

I was excited to have this lens, as a wedding photographer working in many low light situations --- my excitement was VERY quickly dashed. I used this lens at 1 wedding, and while I managed SOME photos that will be salvaged, the majority of the shots were MUCH softer focus than I want for my clients. Canon makes amazing equipment that I stand behind 100%.....THIS Canon lens is NOT something I can get behind.

32 REPLIES 32

"Are you saying the 300 F4 IS lens is sharper than the 300m F2.8 IS lens?"

I am saying, in real world use the f4 is as sharp and can be even sharper than the f2.8. You have to remember there are other f-stops besides f2.8 and f4.  You use them all. You can't shoot everything at a lens' wide open aperture.   A person like most of us have no real use for a lens like the f2.8 when there is such a good alternative like the f4.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority
According to The Digital Picture and its lens tests 300/2.8L IS is sharper than 300/4L IS. With x2III 300/4L IS is skarper at the corners.

300/2.8L IS II is sharper than 300/2.8L IS and 300/4L IS.

Thank you Peter.

But are we talking about pixel peeping here? I would think all the lenses mentioned here are pretty sharp. I've been using my 70-200 IS mark ii with my 2x mark iii extender and I am very happy with the picture quality.

Cheers.

"But are we talking about pixel peeping here?"

This whole discussion is about pixel peeping. Absolutely nothing else!  None if these lenses discussed is bad. The f4 still remains your best buy option.

This is not a lens you are going to use everyday. After Yellowstone, what?  Do you have plans to use it then too?

EB

The short answer to your question is yes, I would love and sure have plans to make great use of this lens long after my Yellowstone strip.

Prior to the COVID lockdown, I normally visit Yosemite, Sequoia, and nearby parks at least once a year, and been spending most of my Christmas holidays in Hawaii.

So yes, I would think I will continue to make good use of this lens after my Yellowstone trip.

Latly, the reason I preferred the 300mm lens over the 400mm or 500m because it's lighter, smaller which make it easy to pack and travel with. Especially on planes when most airlines only allowed one carry on bag. I don't think any sensible person would check in these lenses.

Thanks.

"I don't think any sensible person would check in these lenses."

You see there in lies your problem. These lenses are designed to be checked in. Their cases show that fact.  They are designed for the pro that is using them and carrying them and traveling with them all the time. Day in and day out.  They were not made for the guy that goes to Yellowstone or Hawaii once a year.

EB

Point taken. That said, have you seen what they do with your luggage? Not to mention missing luggage. I had my shares of those.

Lost luggage is no fun, and I definitely don't want to deal with my camera gears or laptops, etc. gone missing.

"That said, have you seen what they do with your luggage?"

I worked for and traveled for a large maybe the largest photography company there is.  What I have tried to advise you is from that experience. I know one of my co-workers that lost all their gear on one trip.

Canon makes these kinds of lenses especially for that kind of work. Canon is well aware of baggage handlers and shippers believe me.

I have seen guys throw their big lens in the case and not from an inch or two but feet away.  I have seen guys sit on their lenses and more.  The average Joe just does not need that kind of build.

EB

There are times when f2.8 vs f4 does make an important difference:

Focus speed will be slightly faster which can be critical in action shots.  Since AF is done with the lens wide open, the f2.8 will still be faster even if you are stepping down the aperture for the actual exposure.

Depending upon the body, a f2.8 or faster lens will activate dual cross point sensors in the AF array providing for the highest AF performance from that lens/body combination.  More regular cross type points will also be available with faster glass and many will generally be available even when a 1.4X extender is used with the faster lens. With the 2X extender, slower glass will only let you use a single cross point in the center even with the better DSLR bodies.

At times, that extra aperture stop really makes a difference and for me that is the "prime" reason I use fast primes a lot because of sports events with poor lighting.  Even when shooting with the 1DX III, if I can halve the ISO while maintaining the shutter speed I need that is a very good thing.

The downside is fast glass is more than one stop on the expense, size, and weight parameters.  If f4 is fast enough for your needs then it is much easier to live with than f2.8 telephotos.  As I noted in another thread, even though I have a 400 f2.8 IS II my old 400 f5.6 still gets used because when f5.6 is fast enough (which it is for a typical hike) I would much prefer to carry a lighter and more compact lens than the excellent 400 f2.8 and even though you give up some AF performance the old 400 f5.6 will still AF with the better bodies when equipped with a 1.4X and it still provides good quality images with that combination.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"There are times when f2.8 vs f4 does make an important difference:"

Absolutely and exactly why you buy the lens that fits your requirements and needs. The main and only most important consideration. 

EB
Announcements