cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii flex cable ribbon problem again

llehmann
Enthusiast

I have a couple of these lenses and I do really love them. They are the work horse in my stable of glass.

That being said, this is the 3rd lens now that has failed with the ERR code communication problem. I have had this happen a couple times before so was able to trouble shoot the issue and know that its the flex cable ribbon that is bad inside the lens.

It will work perfectly as long as you shoot at 2.8 (the wide open aperture setting). As soon as you change it and the lens needs to change the aperture for a image, it fails. 

Now, this is the 3rd  time with 2 different lenses that I've had to send them in for this repair. It would seem to me that this is a defect in the lens and I should not hae to pay for it. Or... Canon needs to use better parts so this does not keep happing over and over again.

Yes I use the lenses a lot. And yes, they are out of the warranty period. That being said, they should step up and repair without quesion. The have to know that this is an issue with the lens. 

Anybody else experiencing the same issue with their Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii?

105 REPLIES 105

518Photo
Apprentice

Same here. 
Super low mileage on my copy too. 
I typically never live view shoot however it happened while I was photographing a football team using LV exclusively. 

Indoor tripod mounted. 

After roughly 30 minutes of shooting last night the error was persistent. Functions at 2.8 but nothing else.

Intermittently, I can get it to take a shot elsewhere in the aperture range but it's rare. This is probably my least used lens too, I am not happy. For the record, this condition is not as uncommon as it may seem at first.

Curious, what are the first 4 digits of your serial number?

518Photo
Apprentice
Similar vintage. 4240
Thanks for the info!

nirvico
Apprentice

I have the same issue. I live in Tel Aviv so took the lens to the largest camera and repair shop. They informed me that this issue happens to the majority of Canon lenses after a while. They quoted me $350 to fix it, which is outrageous. I already paid $450 a few years ago to fix another issue I had with the lens. I'm bleeding money becaue of this 24-70 lens. Sorry, I know this post is a bit late to the orginal's but want others to know this is not an isolated issue. Canon should 100% cover repairs for this issue as it is a flaw. 

llehmann
Enthusiast

Here we go AGAIN!!!

Let's just chalk up another broken lens with the same problem. Making this the 4th repair on the 2 different lenses of the 24-70mm F2.8 ii that I own! Just checking my repair from last time, and this is the same lens that was repaired just over a year ago. 

Again... same problem and symptoms.
It will work perfectly as long as you shoot at 2.8 (the wide open aperture setting). As soon as you change it and the lens needs to change the aperture for a image, it fails. Hence the flex ribbon cable that tells the lens to change aperture for the image is broken. 

Serisoulsy Canon. It's time to step up and admit there is a problem with this lens build/design. I shouldn't have to pay for this same repair a 4th time! This is all internal repairs to the lens so it's not like its been abused or dropped. It's a flex ribbon cable used to allow the lens to zoom. But after so much moving back and forth... it fails and needs repair.

Please, I would like someone from customer service/support to contact me about this. Getting frustrated and starting to use the 4-letter "S" word that ends in "ony"

Lincoln

What about the 1000's of us that haven't experienced that problem?  Canon CS does not answer this forum you can all them 

1 (800) 652-2666

It always makes me wonder when you have a person or even a dozen or so with a problem but the vast majority don't.  Don't get me wrong I totally sympathize with you. I hate it. But I bought mine when they first came out and believe me it has been used. No issues.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Breaking once... it happens. Twice... same problem. hmmmmm?? Starting to stink. Bought another lens... same thing happened. Ok, this isn't right. Happened again on the second lens... for the second time. Yeah, C'mon!

That count is at 4 now. 

Im happy that it's not happening to you. But it is happening! It has happened to 2 other photographers in my circle that use this lens. Maybe I should just make a chat thread that reads: "Canon 24-70mm F2.8 USM ii - Error 01 Problems" See how much attention that gets. 

I love Canon and will continue to use it. But at some point they should step up the customer service after 4 repairs of the same problem with the same customer. Or someone call me and lets discuss my photography techniques, storage, cleaning, care and help me discover how I'm causing this problem. The lens was meant to zoom to both 24mm and 70mm right? I dunno... maybe its not good to take it to the limit 🙂  

co·in·ci·dence
/kōˈinsədəns/
Learn to pronounce
noun

1. 1.
    a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.

ebiggs1: Just out of curiosity, when you say your lens "has been used"... define used.

I probably shoot an average of 2500 images/week on this particular lens. 130,000 images a year on average.

Hi, liehmann,

Thank you for your continued posts. Have you reached out to Canon USA Support regarding your situation? Has your lens ever been repaired by Canon USA? If not, we recommend reaching out to our team at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) for troubleshooting, and/or to arrange to have the unit(s) evaluated by our factory service center.

If you live outside of the United States, please CLICK HERE and select your country or region for your support needs, as we are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

You're welcome to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

@Stephen wrote:

Hi, liehmann,

Thank you for your continued posts. Have you reached out to Canon USA Support regarding your situation? Has your lens ever been repaired by Canon USA? If not, we recommend reaching out to our team at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) for troubleshooting, and/or to arrange to have the unit(s) evaluated by our factory service center.

If you live outside of the United States, please CLICK HERE and select your country or region for your support needs, as we are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

You're welcome to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Follow up on Stephen's advice.  Engineers just love to examine broken stuff, and figure out why it broke.  Technicians will simply go through the motions of fixing it.  Engineers like to analyze stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"But at some point they should step up the customer service after 4 repairs of the same problem ..."

Did you not get a warranty on the repair?  And, you still had time to be beyond that warranty period before it broke again?

"...you say your lens "has been used"... define used."

I got mine around 7 or 8 years ago.  I had the first version and also the 28-70mm f2.8L before that. I actually think that 28-70mm was a sharper lens than the 24-70mm that replaced it. Not pertinent to this discussion though.  The current 24-70mm f2.8L is my favorite lens and the lens I use most of the time.  I can't tell you exactly how many shots it has but it is on the camera most of the time.  I have five external HD's I store photos on.  Each HD is holding approx.100,000 photos. I am looking for my 6th HD and Microcenter has them on sale!

Like most 'pros' that make a living at their trade I don't baby my gear. I can't there just isn't enough time sometimes if you are truly working. It does wnat I want it to or it gets gone.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements