cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii flex cable ribbon problem again

llehmann
Enthusiast

I have a couple of these lenses and I do really love them. They are the work horse in my stable of glass.

That being said, this is the 3rd lens now that has failed with the ERR code communication problem. I have had this happen a couple times before so was able to trouble shoot the issue and know that its the flex cable ribbon that is bad inside the lens.

It will work perfectly as long as you shoot at 2.8 (the wide open aperture setting). As soon as you change it and the lens needs to change the aperture for a image, it fails. 

Now, this is the 3rd  time with 2 different lenses that I've had to send them in for this repair. It would seem to me that this is a defect in the lens and I should not hae to pay for it. Or... Canon needs to use better parts so this does not keep happing over and over again.

Yes I use the lenses a lot. And yes, they are out of the warranty period. That being said, they should step up and repair without quesion. The have to know that this is an issue with the lens. 

Anybody else experiencing the same issue with their Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii?

105 REPLIES 105

I have been having this error code with my 24-70 also!!! How expensive is it to have repaired? 

Hi

as you can see I need a Power Diaphram Assembly. and a Rubber mount. I did request a full check 

Totall £191.60

Hope that helps

first four digits 4340

Lens_Cost (2).jpg

I've been using the 24-70mm lens for years now and I constantly get Err01 and am constantly having to replace the ribbon inside. The lens I currently have is probably on its 5th ribbon? There is definitely something wrong with these lenses. So much so that I will likely not buy another one and move over to prime lenses. There is nothing worse than going to a photo shoot and having that error pop up. I don't care what anyone says, these lenses are faulty.

@MichaelMorgan wrote:

I've been using the 24-70mm lens for years now and I constantly get Err01 and am constantly having to replace the ribbon inside. The lens I currently have is probably on its 5th ribbon? There is definitely something wrong with these lenses. So much so that I will likely not buy another one and move over to prime lenses. There is nothing worse than going to a photo shoot and having that error pop up. I don't care what anyone says, these lenses are faulty.

"On its fifth ribbon"?? Really? Your reported experience is highly improbable, to say the least. Are you installing those cables, or is Canon? If the former, I strongly suggest you let Canon do it next time.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It's happned at least 5 times to me now on 2 of these lenses. Yes... I have 2 of them. I've stopped counting and I've stopped using Canon to replace them as its way cheaper to use a local repair shop. I've had good service and bad service from Canon. So I'm not a fan of their quality control. Nore a fan of being charged hundres of dollars to tighten a loose hot shoe when I found out what was required. BTW if that every happens to you here is the 1 minute fix! (  Canon 5D Mark III Loose Hot Shoe Fix  )

I'm not sure why you would say it's hightly Improbable. It's happening. Let's not fight and argue about this. It's happening and it's highly improbable that it's user fault. 

At least you arn't left dead in the water when it breaks. Can still shoot wide open at F2.8. kinda like going into a fight with one arm tighed behind your back. That being said... we are professionals!

I love the lens as it's my work horse. I just wish a customer service rep from Canon would step up and offer to try and make things right. 

ps: If it wasn't a problem... why is the flex cable a popular selling item on Amazon and Ebay? 

I dont understand the push back with people in this forum regarding this topic. It's happening. 24-70mm is a very handy focal range and these lenses ( when they work ) have great optics. However, the err01 is too often and too expenses to fix. 

People here can believe it or not but I tell you one thing - my faith in Canon over the last few years is starting to fade a little. Nothing worse than driving 4 hours to a job, pulling out your camera and... f$%!.

You may think its improbable but its true - you want me to attach the receipts? And no, I do not install the ribbon myself. U serious?

" I've had good service and bad service from Canon."

All  can do is relate is my experience with Canon service and for me it has been excellent.  I wish all companies modeled themselve after Canon CS.

"You may think its improbable but its true..."

All  can do is relate is my experience with Canon 24-70mm f2.8L lenses.  I have had al of them.  I have even owned the  original 28-70mm f2.8L.  It would be hard for me to imagine you worked your lenses harder than I do or have in the past. None of them has ever broke the flex cable. Now does that mean it won't break for the next guy?  I don't know and you must realize it is hard to believe it has happened multiple times on the same individual lens. Used by the same individual.   At some point you have to start suspecting something else is at fault.

The guy that installed it?  The way you use it? It's a lemon?  I don't know but I will guess that replacing the flex cable again is not the answer until you find the cause.

"U serious?"

....as a heat attack!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

sharkin
Apprentice

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. it fires at 2.8 (the wide-open aperture setting). As soon as I change the aperture, or I use a shutter speed slower than 1/60 it fails.
It was manufactured in July 2016 bought November 2017.
I have the box but can’t find the receipt. Is it still under warranty?

"Is it still under warranty?"

No it isn't. Call Canon to day.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements