cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L got $301 repair estimated for focus issue? Worth it?

AutumnApple
Enthusiast

I got $301 repair estimate from Canon for repairing Canon, that only included standard labor charge $269 return shipping and tax. 

Lens was fully functional for a while Then out of sudden it just lost ability to focus either AF or MF. When AF was sellected, focus still turning but couldn't archive focus on anything at any distance. MF was not responding at all.

Half of me incline to approve the repair since i do like the lens a lot. Other half wonder if it worths the cost since the lens is quiet old and i am afraid that the estimated cost could be changed to higher amount,

So do you think this lens still worth repairing. If I approve the repair, would they do some cleaning or repairing some minor parts too, let's say loose rubber grip or something that does not really affect the lens fuction?  Would that add up to the cost.

9 REPLIES 9

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Let's see.  A used ef 24-70mm f2.8L is about $900 for a mint copy,  If it is the second version, around $1500.  So, is $300 to maybe $400 worth it?

Personally I liked the first version, a lot, and used it for years.  Made me money!  But the second version is considerably better in every way.

If Canon fixes it, it will be fixed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Let's see.  A used ef 24-70mm f2.8L is about $900 for a mint copy,  If it is the second version, around $1500.  So, is $300 to maybe $400 worth it?

Personally I liked the first version, a lot, and used it for years.  Made me money!  But the second version is considerably better in every way.

If Canon fixes it, it will be fixed.

Thanks, ebiggs1. It is first version, i got it used not too long ago, trading for my other lens , so adding the repair cost, it will be around $900 or more. 

I was looking at the "for part/repair" sections on ebay and I guessed repairing it seems to be better choice since if i sell it for part, my lost is abt $200-300 ( if somebody actually buys it). So spending $300 and have the lens fixed does sound lots better than loosing $300 and have no lens.

"It is first version, ..."

I would be fine with the repair. For one thing when Canon gets done it will be like a new lens.  When Canon does a repair they not only fix what is broken but they go through the rest to make sure it is up to par.

The second version is simply fantastic.  It is the best lens of its kind made anywhere by anybody.  Perhaps this is a good time to upgrade.  I probably use that lens more than any other lens I have ever had.

So the ball is in your court.  Either way you will win.

A little tid bit that may be interesting.  The lens you have is actually the second version!  Yes, yes, I know but there was a Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM Lens.  Note the 28mm instead of the 24mm of your lens.  Your lens was an upgrade to that lens.

The Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM Lens was/is a great lens, too.  Some guys tell me it is the sharpest of the three but I am not willing to trade.  I had one and no doubt it was a jewel.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It is first version, ..."

I would be fine with the repair. For one thing when Canon gets done it will be like a new lens.  When Canon does a repair they not only fix what is broken but they go through the rest to make sure it is up to par.

The second version is simply fantastic.  It is the best lens of its kind made anywhere by anybody.  Perhaps this is a good time to upgrade.  I probably use that lens more than any other lens I have ever had.

So the ball is in your court.  Either way you will win.

A little tid bit that may be interesting.  The lens you have is actually the second version!  Yes, yes, I know but there was a Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM Lens.  Note the 28mm instead of the 24mm of your lens.  Your lens was an upgrade to that lens.

The Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM Lens was/is a great lens, too.  Some guys tell me it is the sharpest of the three but I am not willing to trade.  I had one and no doubt it was a jewel.

I put that second version in my wishlist and been trying not to look at it everyday or Im going to end up eating Ramen for couple months Smiley Very Happy I keep telling myself 1st version is more than enough for my personal need but it's so hard to resist the thought of upgrading. 

"Canon won't service it?"

Yes, unfortunately it does.  I am surprised they are still servicing it now!  All good things come to and end.

" Im going to end up eating Ramen for couple months..."

Just reminds me of college days at KU.  Rock Chalk.

EB

Just a quick update. I approved the repair on Jan 8 afternoon, got the lens back to me by Jan 11 morning. Couldn't be happier. Worth every penny I spent. Canon not only fixed the focus issue, they also clean it inside out, replaced some minor parts like dust shield, fixed the wobble zoom barrel...

I just did some quick test and it seems to be perfect. Make me feel like a kid who just got a perfect new year present. Finger cross that it will serve me well from now on. 

So Thank you guys for the advices and thank you Canon.

Canon support and service is the best. They have served me well for years.  Smiley Happy

EB

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Sounds like it jammed.  The lens has a "clutch" which allows the focus ring to slip against the actual focus elements.  This allows you to have "full time" manual focus without worrying that you could damage the lens by fighting the auto-focus motor.  This would explain why you can turn the focus ring but it doesn't actually move the focus inside the lens.

Anyway...   I owned the very same lens.  My Lenstag app says that lens is worth about $800 for a typical used copy.

It's a VERY good lens.  I still haven't upgraded to the generation II copy of the lens becuase I don't rely on this lens as heavily AND it's a VERY good lens as it is (sure the version II is better).

One interesting (and odd) thing about this particular lens is that it is a "reverse zoom" lens.  That means when the lens is LONGER it is at it's "wide angle" 24mm point... and when it's SHORTER it is at it's longer 70mm point.  But this means it can have that deep lens hood.  Because when you zoom "out" to the 24mm end, the front of the lens comes forward (so not as much hood is shielding the lens and it gets an unobstructed view) but when you zoom "in" to the 70mm end, the lens retracts and now the hood is farther in front of the lens.

The new version II is a normal zoom ... not reverse zoom... so the hood has to be very shallow otherwise it would cause vignetting at the 24mm end of the zoom range.

I'd spend the $301 without hesitating because the lens is easily worth it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Sounds like it jammed.  The lens has a "clutch" which allows the focus ring to slip against the actual focus elements.  This allows you to have "full time" manual focus without worrying that you could damage the lens by fighting the auto-focus motor.  This would explain why you can turn the focus ring but it doesn't actually move the focus inside the lens.

Anyway...   I owned the very same lens.  My Lenstag app says that lens is worth about $800 for a typical used copy.

It's a VERY good lens.  I still haven't upgraded to the generation II copy of the lens becuase I don't rely on this lens as heavily AND it's a VERY good lens as it is (sure the version II is better).

One interesting (and odd) thing about this particular lens is that it is a "reverse zoom" lens.  That means when the lens is LONGER it is at it's "wide angle" 24mm point... and when it's SHORTER it is at it's longer 70mm point.  But this means it can have that deep lens hood.  Because when you zoom "out" to the 24mm end, the front of the lens comes forward (so not as much hood is shielding the lens and it gets an unobstructed view) but when you zoom "in" to the 70mm end, the lens retracts and now the hood is farther in front of the lens.

The new version II is a normal zoom ... not reverse zoom... so the hood has to be very shallow otherwise it would cause vignetting at the 24mm end of the zoom range.

I'd spend the $301 without hesitating because the lens is easily worth it.

Thanks, Tim. That is interesting information. I have never noticed that details on the lens. The lens is sure heavy, especially for me, but it is still my most favorite so far. I've heard rumor that Canon will discontinue supporting this model in 2019, Is that true? Does that mean if my lens got trouble in the future, Canon won't service it?

Announcements