cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 24-70 II Lens very blurry from long shots - advice needed

lewisi3
Apprentice

Hi all,

When shooting from distance (not very far - around 10 meters back) the Canon 24-70 II lens seems to be very blurry and bad quality.

Can I get some advice on whether this is a common issue and if there's a resolution to solve this? I wouldn't expect it to be such bad quality from only 10 meters back considering it's a £1,000+ camera lens.

Please see photo below. If you look at the talent you can see the soft focus issue I'm having (this is after making sure the talent is in focus). I'm shooting on Canon 5d Mark II, 1080p at 23.93fps with no compression on the footage.

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 13.56.31.png

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do not expect the resolution of video to be equal to that of still photos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am no expert on this topic here, not by a long shot! That said, I recently ran into similar issue. Mine was a little different in a sense that mine was found to be front focused. After minor correction, it is much sharper now. Have you tried micro adjustment? What camera are you using? I have 5Ds, there are time i love this camera, and there are time i hates it! Cheers,

LV

Greetings,

Determining if a lens is front or back focusing has become pretty easy.  You can buy a in-expensive kit on Amazon and use the internet as a guide to confirm if a lens is properly calibrated.  You can also take to a shop or send to Canon if this is not something you want to mess with.

Some here have made "in body" micro-adjustment changes for their lenses.  I've been lucky and haven't needed this.  None of my non-canon brand lenses have needed it either.  I've only updated FW with my Sigma Dock.  Specs for my rig are on my sig.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I actually downloaded the chart from here https://www.google.com/search?q=microadjustment+canon+chart&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahU...:

Print it out and stick it to the top of my laptop cover. Raise the lid to 45 degree angel, then check out any of the video you like on youtube on this topic and you are set.

Good luck,

LV

@limvo05 wrote:

I actually downloaded the chart from here https://www.google.com/search?q=microadjustment+canon+chart&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahU...:

Print it out and stick it to the top of my laptop cover. Raise the lid to 45 degree angel, then check out any of the video you like on youtube on this topic and you are set.

Good luck,

LV

All that you really need is a yardstick, or a tape measure, and a robust tripod and head.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements