cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 180 L macro on Canon 5dsr

Gibio
Contributor

Hello, I'm writing from Italy. I would like to buy a very good 180mm macro. I shoot with a Canopn 5DS and I've read that Canon doesn't reccomend the 180L on a 50MP camera.

Does anyone have a first hand experience with this combo (5DS or 5DSr)?

I shoot details in ancient paintings so I need sharpness even on the edges.

Thank you

17 REPLIES 17

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Where did you read that Canon does not recommend an L lens for a 50MP camera?

I see that that both 100mm macro made the list.

Obviously, it will work, it *might* be the limiting factor in resolution. What aperture do you usually shoot?

I usually shoot at f8/f9.

I have experience with the Canon 100 usm (not the L); it's an old lens like the 180, but I'm satisfued with the results. If the 180 macro is like the 100, it will be fine fine for me.

i know that the Sigma 180 os 2.8 is better for sharpness and resolutiin but it's really heavy

At f/8 or f/9 it probably does not matter, the lens is improved by stopping it down and diffraction is starting to kick in, anyway.

https://fstoppers.com/education/5ds-f11-and-confusing-circles-68177

PLee
Enthusiast

The combination of the EOS 5DS or 5DS R and EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM works very well, but I would only recommend this setup if you are using a tripod.

@PLee wrote:

The combination of the EOS 5DS or 5DS R and EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM works very well, but I would only recommend this setup if you are using a tripod.

For the OP's stated application, he will certainly be using a tripod. When photographing paintings, both the perpendicularity of the line of sight and the angle of incidence of the lighting must be carefully adjusted to avoid weird reflections off of the paint. The brushstrokes of oil paint do not result in a planar surface, and getting the lighting right can be very tricky.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I know very well the tecnique to photograph painting. I need the longest macro lens because more is the distance and less chances of light reflections on the paintings (expecially the oil paintings). I'm just looking for the best tele macro lens. I've read everywere that Sigma 180 2.8 OS is way better than the old Canon but it's very heavy (1.65 kg) and I don't need a 2.8 lens and image stabilization. So what I'm looking here is tp know if the sharpness and resolution of the canon 180 is good enough for professional photos
Announcements