cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 180 L macro on Canon 5dsr

Gibio
Contributor

Hello, I'm writing from Italy. I would like to buy a very good 180mm macro. I shoot with a Canopn 5DS and I've read that Canon doesn't reccomend the 180L on a 50MP camera.

Does anyone have a first hand experience with this combo (5DS or 5DSr)?

I shoot details in ancient paintings so I need sharpness even on the edges.

Thank you

17 REPLIES 17

It is an L lens.

Here is Ken Rockwell's review:

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/180mm-f35.htm

Thank you. Yes, it's a L lens but Ken Rockwell tested it on a 5D III that has 22MP.

If I had to use it on my 6D I would buy it immediately.

- It is an L lens.

- Here is Ken Rockwell's review:

- https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/180mm-f35.htm

Why not rent one to check it out.

unfortunately there are no places in my area where is possible to rent

- Why not rent one to check it out.

@Gibio wrote:
I know very well the tecnique to photograph painting. I need the longest macro lens because more is the distance and less chances of light reflections on the paintings (expecially the oil paintings). I'm just looking for the best tele macro lens. I've read everywere that Sigma 180 2.8 OS is way better than the old Canon but it's very heavy (1.65 kg) and I don't need a 2.8 lens and image stabilization. So what I'm looking here is tp know if the sharpness and resolution of the canon 180 is good enough for professional photos

Obviously it is. But I think what you're really asking is whether the sharpness of the lens could be a limiting factor in achieving the maximum resolution obtainable with a 5DS. Apparently some commentators think it could be. But even if it were, the advantages of the lens, notably its longer focal length, could outweigh that limitation. But in trying to resolve that question, you're asking the members of this forum to make a very subjective judgement that, frankly, only you are qualified to make. If you can't rent the lens and try it, maybe you should buy it anyway. Sooner or later, you're likely to encounter a situation where you'll be glad you have it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you Bob, I find your advice very wise and I think that's what I'll do. 
Thank you

Obviously it is. But I think what you're really asking is whether the sharpness of the lens could be a limiting factor in achieving the maximum resolution obtainable with a 5DS. Apparently some commentators think it could be. But even if it were, the advantages of the lens, notably its longer focal length, could outweigh that limitation. But in trying to resolve that question, you're asking the members of this forum to make a very subjective judgement that, frankly, only you are qualified to make. If you can't rent the lens and try it, maybe you should buy it anyway. Sooner or later, you're likely to encounter a situation where you'll be glad you have it.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

I never shoot handheld, always on tripod.

Do you have personale experience about this combo?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I shoot details in ancient paintings so I need sharpness even on the edges."

Are you trying to do frame filling shots?  I would think that alone would be a bad idea for best IQ. Leaving some significant cropping room would be my first choice no matter what lens I was using.  You do know the working distance with the 180L, which is a lens I really like, is going to be greater? I have not used one on any of the super hi-res 5D models but on a 5D Mk III, it is nothing short of magnificent.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements