cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 18-200mm zoom lense

jazzman1
Rising Star

I'm new here.  I have a Canon T3i.  Two kit lenses came with it in a bundle...18-55mm, 55-250mm.  I am considering getting the Canon 18-200mm.  Would the Canon 18-200mm be a good choice to replace both lenses, or are there better choices to replace them with and keep the 18-200mm also?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would not buy one for a few reasons.  One and formost, it is more difficult to make a zoom lens when the zoom range gets very extreme.  18 to 200 is a 11x range and very ambitious to say the least. Not solely in optics but in build quality, too. It will be in the same quality level as the two lenses you have so the only advantage is having just the one lens.  Is that what you require? The top benefit of a DSLR is the ability to have the right lens for the right job.  That usually involves several different lenses.  So you will be defeating that concept somewhat!

I would rather see you get a different level of lens for instance the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Directly replacing your 18-55mm kit lens. Of course this is in case what you have is not working for you. But this move is into a better built, better optics and a little faster lens all of which can be very useful.  Make no mistake the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a very good lens and offers a constant aperture.  A super plus in my book.

Unfortunalely these lens upgrades are expensive and replacing the 55-250mm is going to be more so.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

Easy ones first!

The S in EF-S stands for short focus.  Any camera that can use a EF-S lens can use a EF lens, too.  A camera that is designed for EF lenses can only use EF, no S lenses.

The EF 50mm f1.4 is can be used on either EF or EF-S bodies.  It is not actually designed for either.  It is simply a 50mm f1.4 lens.  Either body no matter, it is still a 50mm lens.  It can not change that, however, on a crop body, a Rebel for instance, it will give the same perspective as a 80mm lens would on a full frame body.  Typically making it a pretty good portrait lens.

Now these are just numbers and of no real concern except to sorta guide you in a comparasion.  You choose the lens that works for your need.

You need to make the decision on whether you are going to remain with crop body sized camera or not.  You may wind up buying all your lenses over and that is not a good thing!  Is it?  I know lots of people that live with crop bodies all there lives and  know folks that only shoot FF.  There is not right or wrong.  It is what it is. Nothing more.  Lots of photographers even shoot both, believe it or not!

Now my personal feelings on a "do all lens".  For me there is none.  I always have at least two cameras and two lenses with me all the time.  A very strict rule I never broke..................until lately.  Another rule I will never break is to use any third party lens...............................until lately.  For the most part they were junk.  Oh sure if you lucked out and got a good one, it was pretty good, no doubt.  But very spotty and hit or miss.   Not for me!  But "lately" there has been a great change in third party lenses.  Especially at Sigma.  They make very high quality glass and they have improved their CS drasticly.  Tamron is close behind and getting better.  Forget the rest, Tokina and the others for now

Now back to that "do all" lens.  I did buy a Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD.  Not quite a "do all" but it has a fair amount of zoom useage.  It turns out it is a nice lens and impossibile to beat for $1100 bucks.  Worthy of consideration by anyone.

What do I carry?  A EF 24-70mm f2.8 and a EF 70-200mm f2.8  Canon "L" lenses.  My goto and workhorse combo.  That is as good as it gets.  There is nothing better on the planet.

EB

View solution in original post

182 REPLIES 182

"hey biggs.  enjoy your working vacation.  must be nice."

Not exactly a vacation.  Early mornings, lots of coffee, fast food and eating on the rush and long evenings.  Yes, you are right, it is/was nice.  Already booked for next year's job!  Did mention Chicago city traffic?

EB

Added Thoughts:

Took my 75-300mm lens out today and gave it a spin.   Had'nt used it much since I had it....got it with my T3i in a 2 lens kit.  It was weird, nothing like using my 18-55mm or the 18-200mm, does'nt have IS, and used it mostly on distance shots.  I am not very happy with it.  In a couple situations it would'nt focus, kept searching (when pointed at ground & pointed into the open sky) nor would my camera shutter button fire.   I will put it aside for now and use my 18-55mm and 55-250mm to practice, both have IS.   My 55-250 seems to be a sharper focusing lens than my 75-300.  I'm gonna put my 18-200mm aside for now also, and use it mostly for traval as I intended it to be used for...or on certain occasions.  Will be using the 28-135mm in place of it.

I have UV filters on my lens, mostly to protect my lens.  I take them off for important shots.   What do you think about using polorizing and UV filters?  I want to try the polor's tomorrow and see if there's any improvement in my pics.

I know you said 28mm is considered normal, about what the natural eye sees.  But I have got accustomed to the wide angle of 18mm.  Hope the adjustment won't be a big curve to get adjusted to.  I will get it tues if delievered on time and will be also using it along with the other 2 lens I spoke of.  I got it for 2 reasons.  #1   I hoped since the focal length is shorter than my 18-200mm, it will give me sharper pics.   #2   I will be able to use it with any body I get in the future.  And a bonus was the price, more than 1/2 what I paid for my 18-200mm.    Most everyone (reviews) said it had lens creep and fixed that with a rubber band.  How does that work?   My 18-200mm did'nt have lens creep.

Ok, Ok, gonna stop now before I wear out my welcome LOL.

The questions you have and what you are seeing are your own conclusions.  They either meet your expectations or they don't.

They are all entry level lenses intended for the general consumer market.  Their main most goal is cheap.  And that spec they do very well.  Is it what you want?  Up to you.

The EF 28-135mm is Canon's mid-level lens. One of several they make.  It will do everything better than the others you have.

I have had two of them and still have one.  My first one did have the zoom lens creep.  The one I still have does not.  Lens creep on a zoom lens is common.  It can be reduced by putting a wide rubber band around the zoom ring so it touches both it and the lens body.  Or you can ignor it, like most people do.

As previously stated I don't see the need for many filters.  Protect filters are good but not for shooting but for protection of the front element.  A good one will not degrade your photos!  You should only buy the best there is like the one offered by the lens manufacturer.  Or a few high end companies like B+W.  This also brings up the decission of cost vs reward.  A top quality filter is in the $35 (52mm) dollar range.  So do you put a $35 dollar filter on a $100 dollar lenns?  How about a $150 lens? I probably would not.

Remember they remove as easily as they go on.

The ploarizer has some benefits still as does the ND.  But even they have reduced roles today.  Learn how to use Photoshop!

Speaking of PS, I have lots of editing to do!

EB

Good to see you back.  Sounds like you enjoyed the trip.  As you can see I've been thinking and studing.  I shoot pics now with a whole new insight.  Far as the polaraizing filters I do know they can distort the pics sometimes, and I only use UV filters to protect my lens.  But I see filters as the lessor of 2 evils for me and will try them when I feel they may help.  I'm putting aside what little money I have to spend to up grade my camera and lens.  Don't have the money also to get all the editing software many of you have.  I may get a few in the future.  Heck, I have'nt leaned yet to even use a editing program I have well.  I see the filters as a poor man's solution for now. 

Far as lens creep, I agree it does'nt bother me long as it won't hurt the lens.

Biggs I know you must have all the cameras, lens, and other gear your heart desires.  But my funds are limited as to my options to purchase photo gear.   I'm not poor but I don't have it like alot of you guys that can afford the neweast, and the greatest.   I really have to moderate my desire in the choice of gear and acc I get.   I know what you suggest to me is correct, but often times I may have to compromise at some point on the scale, as to what I can reasonably afford at any given time.   

What do you think about the Canon 6D camera?   And is there any way to tell when you buy lens and camera's when it was made?  Not when it was released to the market, I mean the day and month it was made....the actual production date?  Reason I asked is that alot of gear I see in the stores are old models, some very, very old, like the EF 28-135 and EF 75-300 lens.  I would think a item that was made when it came out and still on the shelf, may not have the updates of those made more recent.  I know over time some models get firmware updates and other adjustments, and some laterproduced models of products may be a little better.  Like with tires for our cars, they have the date that tire was actually made printed into the tire. 

Glad to see you back my friend, you can share some of your trip's highlights if you like.  I'd be happy to listen.  All of your experience in the line of photography is educational for me.

I think you have me a little wong.  Remember I worked for a company that bought all the photo gear there was.  It didn't cost me a dime.  As for my personal stuff it is mostly pretty old.  I still use,  as my main gear, a 1D Mk IV and a 1Ds Mk III.  Not cutting edge to say the least.  I have no intention of upgrading either of them any time soon as they approch 10 years old.

My two Nikkons are a D3 and a D2x, so you see they are not state of the art either.

I admit I have added some lenses lately.  Mostly third party stuff that previously I would not touch but times change.

I have sold a ton of equipment lately, too.  My 7D, 5D Mk II and 5D Mk III are gone. All the Rebels, too.  Plus 5 or 6 lenses.  I have a 1D Mk III for sale right now, too. I am going to keep the 1D and 1D Mk IIn for now anyway.  Also it makes a difference if you are in the business like I was.

As to Photoshop, you can get several free versions that won't cost you a dime either.  The best is GimpShop.  It has a huge learning curve as it should because it does so much.  A good photo is 50% camera/lens, 50% post editing and 50% you.

Yeah, go figure that one out!  If you want to be a good /greatphotographer a post editor is not nice to have it is mandatory.  99% of all the great photos you see and admire are post edited.  Usually by Photoshop.  It is a fact of life.

Dates for lenses, yes.  Dates for cameras, no.  You can look up the code and see when a lens is made.  Lenses and cameras are made in batches, not continuously.  Some lenses are hold overs from film days and the EF 28-135mm is a very old design.  I see it as time to get it right!  For the money it is a steal, a very good lens.

Also I need to stress, you need to satisify yourself not me nor anyone else.  What you can afford or not and the quality and results are for you to determine.  Is it where you want to be?  Remember the best most expensive equipment in the world is worthless if you can't have it or can't afford to buy it.  The worst lens is better than no lens!  Gimp is better than no editor.

EB

Morning my friend, happy you're back and hope you enjoyed your trip.  Thanks for the info and it tells me alot.   Wish I had known you were selling your gear, I probably would have gotton a few items, especially a few lenses.  Do you have anything else for sale?

I do have Gimp2, have had it a long time, though I have'nt got seriously into using it.  I'm trying to learn alot of things all at the same time.  My camera and lens and how to use them.  Also my camcorder.  Did'nt know Gimp was a version of photoshop.   There's no manual or  user guide to help learning that I know of.  I thought about getting photoshop elements 11.  I saw it at Sam's club for about $70.00 would that be helpful?.   I also have all the software that came with my T3i and G20 camcorder.   Now I have to learn how to use them all.   Did'nt know that great photo's are so dependant on post editing.  I know pro's do alot of it for profit.   But did'nt know I would have to do so much of that to produce pics I'd love and be proud of.  That's a downer, I trully want to be, the best I can be, at this craft.  Was it that way back in the days of 35mm???   I never looked up your bodies and did''nt know they were old, discontended.  I bet they were nice in their day and still hold up well.  You do have some good pro level gear.

As you know I purchased the 28-135mm lens new and I thank you so much for telling me about it, the price was a bargain.  I told you I was thinking of getting  a  Canon 70D in the future, and just found the 60D at a price that was hard to refuse...$475.00 new, at B & H.  After careful examination of the 60D and 70D, I determined the 70D is nice but most of the up dates over the 60D was not very important to me for the price deference in price ($475.00 vs. $1200.00)   The 70D is geared more toward video.  I use my 2 camcorder's for video, so that's not needed by me.   It has wi-fi, nec, touch screen, a newer processor,and a few more pixles and other minor updates.  Most of the important specs to me, the 60D has.  It has better build, and it's a prosumer model, a step before FF.bodies....between the Rebels, and ff bodies.  It's older, came out around 2010, but seems to me a great camera for me to learn with.   So I ordered the 60D, it was too good a bargain to pass up.   Now I will have 2 DSLR's and will patiently work toward that FF body in the furure.  I also caught a deal on the canon 24-105mm f4 lens ...refubished on the Canon Website for $650.00, I could'nt believe my luck.  They just added 29% discount off the price it was just last week....$919.00,  So I got that too.

I'm selling some of my lens if I can, the....50mm, 18-55mm, 75-300mm, all Canon.  I will now have the 28-135mm, 24-105mm, 18-200mm, and the 55-250mm   I think I will have a combination of lens I can be happy with for now.  Of coarse I will add lens as I see the need and have the cash to spare.  I see I'm gonna have to step up the pace learning this art.  I'm working on my bodies and lens, camcorder's, and now Editing software.  But I promise you I will get better with it all.  I will look up the date of production on the 28-135mm, the 24-105, and my 18-200mm.   Thanks for the info.

I assure you I won't get anything unless I can afford it, and only things I want and like.   What I do is save up my money in the bank, so when I find bargains like these I found, I can get it, I already have the cash.  I look for deals, sales, refubs (only from Canon), discontinued gear, etc

I know I ask you alot of questions, but I do learn alot from you.  I don't just ask questions for conversation, I trully ask to learn.  And you are teaching me alot fast.  I have learned alot just since we met.   Many questions I'd been mulling over for awhile, but could never put it togather so well in my head, from other sites and info.  Some are new questions brought about from the things you tell me.   But I promise you, I do use all you give.  I even file some things away for future reference, for when I can use it.  Your time spent teaching me is not going in vain.   Thanks much Biggs, hope you continue to enlighten me in this art.  You are a good teacher, I like your style.  If I could, I would attend your 101 class.

Ok here goes, I think.

Photoshop Elements is 10 times better than Gimp2 or GimpShop. (GimpShop is just an interfacre over Gimp to make it look like PS.)

I really can't comment on the 60D.  I don't think I ever used one but somebody in class may have had one.  I did try a 70D for a short bit.  You'll have to school me on these two!

"I'm selling some of my lens if I can, the....50mm, 18-55mm, 75-300mm, all Canon.  I will now have the 28-135mm, 24-105mm, 18-200mm, and the 55-250mm"

You have real un-necessary duplication here.  If you have the EF 24-105mm f 4 L ?  You have upped the game considerably.  As it is in a different class altogether than anything you have/had.  If I were you, I would sell everything except it. The two super zooms will really show their IQ faults compared to that "L" lens.  Plus it is a constant aperture and real big plus in my book.  You need to start looking at a 70-200mm to replace the two zooms.

One thing I always stress to folks, is keep your gears equal if possibile.  A 60D and the EF 24-105mm f4 are pretty good gear.  They deserve a same level tele zoom.

You really don't want to be buying just to be buying.  You need to set a goal to work towards.  If FF is your goal, than a 60D is not a good idea.  If keeping the 28-135mm is in your plan, than the EF 24-105mmf4 L is not a good idea.  Do you see where I am going?

My advise now is put that 24-105mm on the 60D and buy PSE.  Learn each, the camera, the lens, PSE and yourself.  Do this before you buy anything else unless it is a 70-200mm zoom. Smiley Happy  Sell all the rest!

Oh, BTW, the EF 50mm f1.4 would be a good addition, too.  Make sure it is helping you get to your goal, though.

EB

Biggs I had pondered over getting photoshop elements, but was'nt sure how good it was.  Now since you've endorsed it I will get in soon.  I do want to get into editing myself.  I don't want to use it anymore than necessary, would like to get good enough with my technic where alot of editing is'nt needed.   But that may be an impossible dream.

Happy to hear you say what you did about mirrorless camera's.  For one, I'm investing alot of money in photography and would hate to chuck it all in for a new technology.  After learning all I have to with DSLR's I would hate to start all over.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You have real un-necessary duplication here.  If you have the EF 24-105mm f 4 L ?  You have upped the game considerably.  As it is in a different class altogether than anything you have/had.  If I were you, I would sell everything except it. The two super zooms will really show their IQ faults"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need'nt have said what you did about my lens purchase, I am so well aware of that already...I knew it as I ordered the 24-105mm.  But the situation just happened, nothing I planned.  As you know I was going to settle down with the 28-135mm lens and take my time getting more glass.  Then from out the blue, Canon discounted the 24-105mm lens and I knew it was a deal I should'nt pass up.   If I had, I would have evenually got it anyway, and may have had to pay the regular price.  So I just bit the bullet on this one.   All the rest of my lens I've had since I bought the camera, all except the 18-200 which I just got.   My thinking now that I'm gonna have 2 DSLR's is to keep a lens mounted on both bodies and I won't have to change lens unless I need to, that way I won't take such a loss on lenses right now....I'm just getting  the 28-135mm, it's new.   I had no idea at the time I would get the 60D body, but it was a price I could'nt pass up.   My solution is to keep the 28-135mm on my T3i rebel all the time.   I'll put the 24-105mm on my new 60D as you say, and use the 55-250mm with that for now.   I can still use the 18-200mm for a walkabout only when travalling, or just out and about having practice.  Evenually I would get the 70-300mm, f4 or the 70-200mm f4 you spoke of and then sell the 55-250mm and the 18-200mm.   Do you think I should get the 70-200mm f2.8 instead of the f4???   I do need the 55-250mm for long shots till I can get something else.   If I sold all the lenses I would only have the 24-105mm for both bodies.   You're right about the 50mm, I can keep it till I get the 50mm f1.4.  I would selll the other 2.    I have for sale the 18-55mm, 75-300mm, and a cheap Bower wide angle.  I could sell the 18-200mm if I got a good deal, remember it's new too, still under warranty.  What are your thoughts???  I do understand keeping my gears equal.  I will from here on out.  I understand all you've said, just trying to find a viable solution for a not the best sitution.  Ok my friend I've told you my thoughts, now give it to me straight...with no chaser.

I'm surprised you say I should forget about going with a FF body in the future.  And about not getting a FF body if I keep the 60D.   My thoughts  were on keeping both bodies I have now and add the FF body to my collection. I hear guys saying all the time they kept their rebel when they stepped up to FF.  Many guys have multible bodies.   I think you do too, you say you have over 10  bodies.  Do you still think I should stick to crop bodies only???   I would'nt be getting a FF for a long while, years maybe, since I have the 60D.  I only had my Rebel for 8 months, it's almost brand new too, it's still under warranty.    Believe me Biggs, it's not the way I would have planned things, just kind of came about this way.  But I'm trying to make the best out of a lousey situation.  But if you still strongly feel the same I will consider selling all the lens as you say.  I agree with you, I won't buy anything more for now and get into learning to use what I have.. 

here's a look at the 60D.  you said you did'nt know much about it.  tell me what you think.

http://digital-cameras.toptenreviews.com/professional-dslr/nikon/canon-eos-60d-review.html

I can't decide for you.  You must decide if what you have is what you want.

I can tell you I use a 1Ds Mk III which is a FF.  And I use a 1D Mk IV which is a crop body.

I have mostly "L" lenses but this is mainly due to my business needs.  Of course I am retired now but these lenses are lifetime buys. I have soem Sigma EX and Art lenses, too.

You need to lay your money down and get what works for you.  I believe having both a crop and a FF is a good go.  Each has features that the other doesn't.  I don't buy any lens that is for crop only.

I am sure a 60D is a fine camera.  The worst Canon camera is pretty darn good if you get right down to it.

I will say you are likely in for a rude awakening if you think you can get it "right" in the camera.  Post is where it is at.

Colleges and university's offer courses in Photoshop because it is a career program.  At Hallamrk every single photo, 100%, went to PS.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements