cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 18-200mm zoom lense

jazzman1
Rising Star

I'm new here.  I have a Canon T3i.  Two kit lenses came with it in a bundle...18-55mm, 55-250mm.  I am considering getting the Canon 18-200mm.  Would the Canon 18-200mm be a good choice to replace both lenses, or are there better choices to replace them with and keep the 18-200mm also?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would not buy one for a few reasons.  One and formost, it is more difficult to make a zoom lens when the zoom range gets very extreme.  18 to 200 is a 11x range and very ambitious to say the least. Not solely in optics but in build quality, too. It will be in the same quality level as the two lenses you have so the only advantage is having just the one lens.  Is that what you require? The top benefit of a DSLR is the ability to have the right lens for the right job.  That usually involves several different lenses.  So you will be defeating that concept somewhat!

I would rather see you get a different level of lens for instance the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Directly replacing your 18-55mm kit lens. Of course this is in case what you have is not working for you. But this move is into a better built, better optics and a little faster lens all of which can be very useful.  Make no mistake the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a very good lens and offers a constant aperture.  A super plus in my book.

Unfortunalely these lens upgrades are expensive and replacing the 55-250mm is going to be more so.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

Easy ones first!

The S in EF-S stands for short focus.  Any camera that can use a EF-S lens can use a EF lens, too.  A camera that is designed for EF lenses can only use EF, no S lenses.

The EF 50mm f1.4 is can be used on either EF or EF-S bodies.  It is not actually designed for either.  It is simply a 50mm f1.4 lens.  Either body no matter, it is still a 50mm lens.  It can not change that, however, on a crop body, a Rebel for instance, it will give the same perspective as a 80mm lens would on a full frame body.  Typically making it a pretty good portrait lens.

Now these are just numbers and of no real concern except to sorta guide you in a comparasion.  You choose the lens that works for your need.

You need to make the decision on whether you are going to remain with crop body sized camera or not.  You may wind up buying all your lenses over and that is not a good thing!  Is it?  I know lots of people that live with crop bodies all there lives and  know folks that only shoot FF.  There is not right or wrong.  It is what it is. Nothing more.  Lots of photographers even shoot both, believe it or not!

Now my personal feelings on a "do all lens".  For me there is none.  I always have at least two cameras and two lenses with me all the time.  A very strict rule I never broke..................until lately.  Another rule I will never break is to use any third party lens...............................until lately.  For the most part they were junk.  Oh sure if you lucked out and got a good one, it was pretty good, no doubt.  But very spotty and hit or miss.   Not for me!  But "lately" there has been a great change in third party lenses.  Especially at Sigma.  They make very high quality glass and they have improved their CS drasticly.  Tamron is close behind and getting better.  Forget the rest, Tokina and the others for now

Now back to that "do all" lens.  I did buy a Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD.  Not quite a "do all" but it has a fair amount of zoom useage.  It turns out it is a nice lens and impossibile to beat for $1100 bucks.  Worthy of consideration by anyone.

What do I carry?  A EF 24-70mm f2.8 and a EF 70-200mm f2.8  Canon "L" lenses.  My goto and workhorse combo.  That is as good as it gets.  There is nothing better on the planet.

EB

View solution in original post

182 REPLIES 182

I generally refrain form doing this because I don't usually put folks gear down but since it is Scott Kelby, here goes.

"I don’t know a single photographer that actually has one of these that doesn’t love it,..."

OK here is the first one.  I don't love it and I would not even consider buying one.  No photographer buddy of mine has one or would buy one either.

"... mostly because when it’s on your camera, you’re never going to say, “Oh, I missed that shot because I didn’t have the right lens,” because it does it all in one lens."

Right?  Might miss it because it couldn't focus or didn't focus fast enough.  Or a myrid of other miss fortunes with it.

"I have a 30x40" print of a photo I took with that lens while on vacation, framed, and hanging in my home. Everybody loves it,..."

Hmmm, I must have missed it.

But this is the bottom line ......

"As far as IQ, until I need to produce wall-sized prints for public display, I remain confident in my work and IQ with this lens.

It works for me."

I am glad you see usefulnees in your gears and you should not let me or anybody else discourage or put down any of it.  As long as you are getting the results you want forget what Scott Kelby or me think about it.

EB

LOL.  When I 1st came back I had a private chuckle.  I did'nt even have to guess at what was said.  I had a good idea where you would go (grin)

I had to go lay down, not my best day.  Did'nt tell you I'm recovering from Cancer surgery.  Had surgery at Mayo Clinic last month.  I'm almost back in the pink though.  Going to finish the other posts now

wow. and I thought my post was friendly.

daleg ............don't take what Biggs said personal.  It's just who he is and how he sees things.  He's a great guy when you get to know him but has his own ideas about the art of photography.  One thing you'd be cautioned about with him is don't flaunt any reviews, stats, or charts as the gosple with him.  He don't think much of stuff like that.  He kind of thinks outside the box so to speak, but I would be willing to swear, nothing he says is personal about anyone here....other than maybe the reviewer spoke of.   He just tells it like he sees it and many times he may be the only one who sees things the way he does "LOL".  But it's not about you, nor me, or anyone else here.  It's about the art of photography and the gear, and how he sees it.

"wow. and I thought my post was friendly."

Your meaning?  Smiley Frustrated   Mine was not?

I can not share an opposing view?  I thought this was a place for interchange of view points.  If you don't like mine, I am not "friendly"? 

EB

Morning Biggs.  [Mod note: Removed for violation of FORUM GUIDELINES. Please stop asking members to violate guidelines. CLICK HERE. To review the guidelines in their entirety.] 

And can you tell me just how one uploads pics in our post as you do to show me your pics, like the bird and horse.  I've tried to do that several times with no luck.  I did finally figure out how to uplaod a pic for my avitar, but can't seem to figure how to upload pics so I can show them to you and Bob.

"And can you tell me just how one uploads pics ..."

Yes it is easy.  Click on the icon that looks like a mountain with a moon.  Chooes the file on you computer and u/l it.  Then click the insert image tab. 

BTW, you may be limited to a size restricton if I remember correctly so don't try a full size jpg or RAW files.  Reduce it first in your "editor"!

I would love to see your stuff.  Smiley Happy

EB

biggs,

in a thread that purportedly, is about the 18-200mm lens, I posted what is, perhaps, the ONLY defense of this lens.

to which, you jumped all over it (yep, so glad to make your acquaintance.  what a great guy!) - seemingly (unseemly?) because you disagree - which, obviously, is your right.

I'll rehash my two cents, the EF-S 18-200mm lens WILL RESULT in a user capturing many, many images (due to its compositional dexterity) than otherwise.  the next criticism I receive about the optical resolution of this lens will be the first.

to me, that's more important - usually, but not always - than achieving the sharpest possible image in the farthest corners of a composition.

ymmv.

"biggs,

in a thread that purportedly, is about the 18-200mm lens, I posted what is, perhaps, the ONLY defense of this lens."

Welcome,

I am glad you decided to join this discussion.  Like it does sometimes, it has morphed into a whole new topic.  Not really very unusual or uncommon.

However, if you post a review of a product, a lens in this case. that you really like and think is good, don't I have the same right to post my thoughts of it?  Although mine was negative?

In a fairness statement as I would not even consider using, let alone buying, a Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens, I would not do so even if it were an "L" version.  Reason?  The zoom range is too long to make a decent lens.

I am totally fine with you using it and enjoying it.  More power to ya!   But my opinion is different.

Don't wear your feelings on your shirt sleeve.  I hope you stick around and join in.

EB

BTW.....If we chat through our personal addy's we can say what we want.  We don't have to worry about violating the rules.

You know I retired from the auto company in 1995, and moved south.  I got my 1st DSLR less than a yr ago.  I've always liked photography since I was a kid, and have had Canon Cameras and Camcorders for over 30 yrs.  My Rebel was my 1st DSLR.  If you like I can give you one of my addy's, I have several, and one addy is a throwaway, so does'nt matter if I leave it here.   If you don't want to put your addy on site here, because you don't want anyone to get it, here's one of mine

igotawoman@hotmail.com

Announcements