cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 18-200mm zoom lense

jazzman1
Rising Star

I'm new here.  I have a Canon T3i.  Two kit lenses came with it in a bundle...18-55mm, 55-250mm.  I am considering getting the Canon 18-200mm.  Would the Canon 18-200mm be a good choice to replace both lenses, or are there better choices to replace them with and keep the 18-200mm also?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would not buy one for a few reasons.  One and formost, it is more difficult to make a zoom lens when the zoom range gets very extreme.  18 to 200 is a 11x range and very ambitious to say the least. Not solely in optics but in build quality, too. It will be in the same quality level as the two lenses you have so the only advantage is having just the one lens.  Is that what you require? The top benefit of a DSLR is the ability to have the right lens for the right job.  That usually involves several different lenses.  So you will be defeating that concept somewhat!

I would rather see you get a different level of lens for instance the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Directly replacing your 18-55mm kit lens. Of course this is in case what you have is not working for you. But this move is into a better built, better optics and a little faster lens all of which can be very useful.  Make no mistake the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a very good lens and offers a constant aperture.  A super plus in my book.

Unfortunalely these lens upgrades are expensive and replacing the 55-250mm is going to be more so.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

Easy ones first!

The S in EF-S stands for short focus.  Any camera that can use a EF-S lens can use a EF lens, too.  A camera that is designed for EF lenses can only use EF, no S lenses.

The EF 50mm f1.4 is can be used on either EF or EF-S bodies.  It is not actually designed for either.  It is simply a 50mm f1.4 lens.  Either body no matter, it is still a 50mm lens.  It can not change that, however, on a crop body, a Rebel for instance, it will give the same perspective as a 80mm lens would on a full frame body.  Typically making it a pretty good portrait lens.

Now these are just numbers and of no real concern except to sorta guide you in a comparasion.  You choose the lens that works for your need.

You need to make the decision on whether you are going to remain with crop body sized camera or not.  You may wind up buying all your lenses over and that is not a good thing!  Is it?  I know lots of people that live with crop bodies all there lives and  know folks that only shoot FF.  There is not right or wrong.  It is what it is. Nothing more.  Lots of photographers even shoot both, believe it or not!

Now my personal feelings on a "do all lens".  For me there is none.  I always have at least two cameras and two lenses with me all the time.  A very strict rule I never broke..................until lately.  Another rule I will never break is to use any third party lens...............................until lately.  For the most part they were junk.  Oh sure if you lucked out and got a good one, it was pretty good, no doubt.  But very spotty and hit or miss.   Not for me!  But "lately" there has been a great change in third party lenses.  Especially at Sigma.  They make very high quality glass and they have improved their CS drasticly.  Tamron is close behind and getting better.  Forget the rest, Tokina and the others for now

Now back to that "do all" lens.  I did buy a Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD.  Not quite a "do all" but it has a fair amount of zoom useage.  It turns out it is a nice lens and impossibile to beat for $1100 bucks.  Worthy of consideration by anyone.

What do I carry?  A EF 24-70mm f2.8 and a EF 70-200mm f2.8  Canon "L" lenses.  My goto and workhorse combo.  That is as good as it gets.  There is nothing better on the planet.

EB

View solution in original post

182 REPLIES 182

"... I take it generally round blades would indicate better lens???   And generally more elements & over groups are better also.  But rounded blades are the better indicator of quality!!!! "

This is false of course.  However, Canon will not out top quality parts into a crappy lens.  If they did it would not be "crappy"!

The best lenses get the best.  If that is a 9 blade aperture or a 7, so be it.  There are trade offs and no lens is that elusive holy grail of a lens.  Lenses are simply too complicated with too many different factors to consider. One reason there are so many.  They all fit somewhere.

EB

@jazzman1 wrote:

Thanks Bob for the info.  I guess there's no good way for me to tell if a lens is really tops, other than trying it for myself and reading reviews.

Correct.

BTW.... I took some shots today and got varing results.  Most of my shots at the park are all pretty much good, fall in the same space of good shots give or take a back one here or there.  Today I got a chance to take a couple's pic, they posed for me.

If someone poses for you, and you have any notion of ever selling the picture, you should get a model release. That's especially true if the subject is a child, in which case the model release has to be signed by a parent or legal guardian. (A baby sitter or nanny won't do.) No agency will touch a picture of a child unless it's accompanied by a model release. And before you ask, model release forms abound on the Internet. Google and ye shall find.

My pics were fine around 10 ft away as usual.  But when I moved in close, maybe to a couple ft, the pic was very bright, had a washed out look.  I tried to adjust my exposure compensation with no luck.  The pic came out either too light, or too dark.  What is it I did wrong???   What do I need to do for closeups???    It was very cloudy today, even sprinkled a little rain.  Usually very sunny when I go there.   My pics were fine farther away.   Maybe I should stand back and zoom in with my lens.

That's a hard one to guess, especially without seeing examples. But start by making sure you're not inadvertantly using "spot" or "partial" metering (as opposed to the more normal "evaluative" or "center-weighted"). Those should be used only in special cases, because they can cause the camera to misread or ignore the overall lighting of a scene.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hey Bob, Ijust lost a long message and there's nothing in  autosave.  I'm not feeling so great right now, I'm going to lay down abit.  Will get back later.  Sorry my friend just not one of my better days.

Sorry Biggs I have to get back later.  I'm not feeling well and going to lay down.  I will return later.

I buy gear, lenses and cameras, to play with.  Not to use like most if not all of you out there.  This is my hobby now.  At this point our goals are totally different.  I want to know the ins and outs of as much of this stuff as I can.  If I don't like something, I sell it and move on.  Never used to do that.  The fact that I have dups in several focal lengths is because the lenses are so good they have found a home here.  I just sold my 1D Mk III so that let me buy the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Zoom Lens.  So far, just a few days worth, it is going to find a home here, too.  I may even recommend it later on if it still impresses me.  Not made of money or have money to burn.  But remember I did have a company that did.

The hourse picture was from about 10 to 12 feet at 70mm.  Pretty darn sharp!

It's Ok to have our grownup toys.  Have fun you deserve it, you paid your dues.  rRch or not.....I still say it must be nice.  Your pic is very sharp, good color, and excellent shot.  I thought you took that shot farther away.

BTW....where do you sell your gear???

You don't email RAW.  If you did people may not be able to see them anyway.  You email the jpg you make from a RAW file.  The RAW file does not exist after your editor.  The difference is you control the output and not your camera.  The camera can not see your photo.  You can.  You decide how it looks.  You decide how it is used and the format.  You are not unusual in this as I have resistance from folks using RAW.  Some just will not.  And if they are that against it, I don't push it any further.  Either you want the best or you don't.  Its your choice.  Are you going to buy that $2500 dollar Canon 70-200mm f2.8 lens and than put black tape over half the front element?  I don't think so but that is what you are doing if you shoot jpg

I think at times you must think I resist things just to be stubborn!!!   I assure you, some days I'm doing the best I can.  This stuff don't come easy as it is, and at 68  yrs old it can be darn right hard.  Biggs I know I may not always move at the pace you would like, but if I tell you I will do something I will.  I will say no quick if that's my decsion, so trust me. my word is good.  I have no problem shooting in RAW, long as I can convert to jpeg for email.  But I do have to learn how to edit with the software.  Digital Photo Professional software came with my T3i and my 60D.  I believe it will edit RAW. I have over basic programs from Canon that I think will work also.   I will begin trying to  learn my friend.  But don't expect me to master it overnote.  Even Rome was not builtin a day.

One thing that is confusing you so much is your contridiction of views and advise.  It is fine to get different views but at this early learning stage you really need to decide on and depend on one or two.  Of course all this is up to you, using RAW or not, googling everything, reading reviews, f-stops and focal lengths, etc, but not to the point of confusion.

The best thing is to get into a class with a good instructor and do as they inform.  After you get the basic understanding, than you can venture out and get all the opposing views and thoughts.  Just not now

I think you're wrong about what's confusing me.  It's not that I get answers other places that confuse me, it's that I have no one to explain things when I have questions and don't quite understand, as you and Bob do.  I am just as confused at times here, but you and Bob are available to help me sort things out, that's the difference.  But I do agree that I will cut down on that.  If for no other reason that it's time consuming, and time better spent on working on the things you and Bob suggest to me.  Time better spent on implimenting the things I'm learning here. I will be taking Photo classes for the next 3 saturdays.  

This statement shows you still do not understand why this photo is significant.  And that is just from not enough experience and knowledge yet.  It will come but I believe you are getting confusing points of view and that is stymining you. Everybody on the web are not as great a teacher as Bob from Boston and me!  :smileyvery-happy:  <-----joke inserted here

DICISION TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess if my answer was not sufficent, then I guess there ismore to learn to give a propwr answer.  I already said having the best photo knowledge does'nt make one even a fair teacher.  Everyone don't have those talents.  You and bob are great in my judgement, and frankly I like both you guys style.  You may be a little pushy, but you always give me a reasonable answer.  And you've never told me to stop asking qustions.  That's one thing I think makes a good teacher. You and Bob have different approaches, and I like both.  Bob is more to the point and short.  You on the otherhand can be long winded.  But you've never said anything not needing to be said.  You're more through in your answers, you give alot of info.   Both of you guys style get the job done and that's all that counts.  I caught the smiley, I agree.

Bob I do understand now that knowing a good lens is something of an art, and learned knowledge over the years.  Your answer told me just what I needed to know.

Thanks for the info about models posing.  Good to now that upfront.  But these guys were 2 people that I just met and they were happy I took there pics.  They were a couple and asked me to take their pic and send them via email.  We had a nice conversation and may have made 2 new friends.  Man there's more do's and don't's in photography than I ever thought exsisted.

I understand I did'nt give you enough info for you to give a good answer, sorry bout that.  But my camera was set on "evaluative" ....it always is.  I have'nt started using the other modes yet.  I've began to notice my camera at times will do that in some shots.  But cause this was a closeup of people (don't usually shoot prople closeup), it stood out all the more.  I notice that when I point the camera toward the sun, or even just light in the background, as opposed to the sun or light being at my back....my pic is sometimes effected like that, though not this extreme.  That also happens if the subject is against a light or dark background...my pic is some what effected.  If I shoot into darker or into lighter backdrops.  I'm going to start taking note of that and be prepared to make diferent camera setting changes.  Not sure, but I think that was maybe the problem...my back lighting.

Hey, I do hope you are getting over the cancer episode.  We are both 68 and have certain medical restrictions.  I have been retired for over 12 years now.  I understand 68 years old.

The, maybe excessive, push to RAW for you does not need to be rehashed as to the advantages.  I hope they have been driven home.  But the, currently, simplistic job of its use is another reason.  You are a computer guru.  So this should be second nature for you.  Take this example.  You have to put your photos on your computer. Right?  DPP that came with your camera will do this automatically.  It will d/l the images and display them without effort on your part.  At this point, there is no difference between your jpg files and a RAW file as nothing on your part is different.  OK?  But now you have RAW files on the screen instead of compressed jpg.

The rendering is done by DPP automatically.  But you now have twice or more of the ability to make them better.  Or you can simply choose to save them as is to a jpg.  The only difference here is you choose RAW on the menu on the back of the camera.

Lets add PSE into the mix.  After you learn it, you will have a whole new world of editing possiblites.

Cameras can be great lead ins to make new friends.  That is great.  I hope that works out for you.  A word on a "model release", to clarify it more.  Average people do not have an expectation of privacy in a public place.  There is no release required to do whatever with the images.  Of course I mean non-slanderous use or degrading, etc.  Even celebrities have few legal rights if they are in a piblic place.  This has a gray area, however. If you state your goal is to profit from the photos you should get a release.  Especially if the person cooperates.  But if they ask you not take their photo, you should honor that although you probably don't have to. Anybody can sue for anything in this country.   Local ordenances may apply, too.  There are “community standards” laws to contend with.

None of that applies to children.  They are ALWAYS off limits.

I hope you get better quickly so we can pursue the great photography hobby even futher.

EB

Hey, I do hope you are getting over the cancer episode.  We are both 68 and have certain medical restrictions.  I have been retired for over 12 years now.  I understand 68 years old

I'm fine now Biggs my operation was a success.  All the Cancer was removed from my liver, they caught it very early.  Now all I have to do is build back my stenght and get checkups every 3 months.  I've fine to do my photography, I just give out of energy sometimes.  We're fine, I just might not go as fast on something as you may like me to.  But I'm ready to continue.

I will be getting into RAW Real soon, in a day or so.  I'm going to go out today and take some shots. 

I understand about the privacy issue and with kids, not a problem.  The couple I met the other day was a guy and gal and they asked me to take their pic.  We had a long conversation and they gave me there number, they're into businesses I may use.  Thanks for the heads up about uploading my pics.  I will try it later after I return from taking my pics today.  There a few pics I'd like you and Bob to see and let me know what's wrong, or what I did wrong.

"There a few pics I'd like you and Bob to see ..."

Can't wait to see how you have progressed.  Actually we need samples before we can tell you how one of us would have done it.  That is one reason I have not mentioned exact settings with you.  Because I don't know where you are.  In class I have photos and prints and we talk them through.

Remember way, way back I suggested you shoot and shoot a lot?  Plus remember your settings?  This is a must.  It is mandatory.  If you can not commit them to menory, you are going to have a real rought times of it.  That's just the nature of the game.

EB

Hey Biggs I got an Idea.  If you are willing to send me your email addy, I can let you see any and all the pics I've took.  I upload alot of my pics to my hotmail "oneDrive" cloud account.  i can only send 24mb in an email which is only about 5 pics, cause they're so big....and they're jpeg.

Announcements