cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 18-135mm IS Lens....Jumps during manual focus

DeanB72
Contributor

Hi,

I recently noticed that my Canon 18-135mm IS lens has a minor issue that I'm not sure if it's a fault or not......

When the manual focus ring is turned, at a certain point it kind of clicks/jumps momentarily.  I noticed this when the lens was at approximately half of the zoom range but I'm not sure if it happens at all zoom ranges.

As far as I can tell, things are still in focus so don't know if it's a problem or not, I'm just wondering whether something could be out of alignment and potentially do more damage ?

Thanks for any insight

3 REPLIES 3

bratkinson
Contributor

Not intended as a put-down...but did you set the lens to MF (manual focus)?  Unlike Canons' L-series lenses, attempting to manually focus while the lens is in AF mode will result in some screwy things occurring. 

No offence taken....people do stupid things (including me).  But yes, I switched to manual focus first, although I have occasionally forgotten to do so and moved the focus ring a minor amount before realising.

Having looked at it again, the amount of movement is quite small.....I have come to the conclusion from reading other posts online that it's mostly just the movement/play of the zoom lens within the barrel, which sounds quite common on this lens.

Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps it's the internal mechanisms that move various parts faster/slower than others while zooming. Perhaps you were right at 'that point' in the zoom range where a 'lens movement 'shift' occurred when manually focusing (if that's what happens). I used to have an 18-135 ver i and I only recall it acting strange (as in ignoring me) when I tried manual focus while in AF mode.

Announcements