cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 18-135 sharpness issues

TechSpotlight
Contributor

Hey, I just bought a used 18-135 IS STM recently.  Unforunately, I've ran into a problem where on the top right corner of the image, it looses its sharpness.  

Here is a sample photo from the 18-135:

Calgary Transit 8281.jpg

Compared to a sample photo from my old 18-55 IS (NON STM) lens:

testmetadata.jpg

In both cases, my shutter speed is at 1/1000, ISO is set to 200 and F-stop was set to f/5.  Image Stabilization is also turned on.  Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It does look like the lens is soft on the right side.  It could be "de-centered". 

f/5 is almost wide open. It might get better if you stop down to f/8. You can send it in to Canon to get checked, or just live with it. 

Calgary Transit 8281crop2.jpg

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Was the focal length the same?

You need to post larger images.

If you "recently" bought it, it should still be under waranty, call Canon.

Apologies, I'll post larger versions of the image from the 18-135 below:Calgary Transit 8281.jpg

If you zoom in to the top right corner, you can see what I'm talking about.sfef.PNG

And the 18-55 IS for comparsion below:

testmetadata.jpg

The focal length on the photo taken with the 18-55 IS was 39 mm and the focal length on the photo taken with the 18-135 IS STM was 35mm.  The lens was bought used and I checked, it's no longer under warranty.

It does look like the lens is soft on the right side.  It could be "de-centered". 

f/5 is almost wide open. It might get better if you stop down to f/8. You can send it in to Canon to get checked, or just live with it. 

Calgary Transit 8281crop2.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Thanks all for your assistance.  I tried stepping it down to f/8 and made the right side improve quite a lot.  It's still a little bit blurry but barely noticable to my eye at all.  

"The focal length on the photo taken with the 18-55 IS was 39 mm and the focal length on the photo taken with the 18-135 IS STM was 35mm."

You have so many things wrong with your reasoning, let's start. First you can not compare two totally different lenses expecting them to both be as sharp as each other.  Just ain't gonna happen. Next any smaller zoom range lens will tend to be sharper than a larger zoom range lens.  A fact of life. It is the price you pay for convenience of zooming. You were shooting nearly wide ope which is the worst place for almost any lens for best IQ. Try again at a reasonable aperture of f8. The left side of the shot is closer than the less sharp right side. Lastly, although 4mm difference in aperture is small it will have an effect on the shot.

Someone above said to live with it. That is the best advice for a lens of this type because it is probably as good as it is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements