Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Canon 17-85 IS USM Making rattling noise

Hello everyone! 
I bought an old, second-hand, Canon 17-85 IS USM lens, that has been sitting on my shelf until recently. After a serious test, that unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to perform upon buying said lens, I discovered the following issues with it:

- The lens makes a rattling noise, similar to the one of the Autofocus Motor, when I am not focusing at all;
- The camera does not turn itself off when this lens is coupled. Adittionally it makes the same noise every so often;

- Turning off Autofocus and Stabilizer does not solve the sound

Could anyone help me identify the potential problem?
Thank you all in advance! 
Regards

Samuel

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Canon 17-85 IS USM Making rattling noise

[ Edited ]

Greetings,

What body are you using this lens with?

Check the contacts on the lens and body.  Make sure they are clean. 

There is a procedure to re-align the motor with the lenses ability to focus, but I doubt thats your problem since it rattles and doesn't allow the camera to shut off. 

Do other lenses work ok?

If yes, you probably purchased somneone's lemon.  I would discontinue use, chalk it up as a leaning experiience and not purchase items you haven't tested before purchase.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100
Highlighted
VIP

Re: Canon 17-85 IS USM Making rattling noise

"Could anyone help me identify the potential problem?"

Yes, I can. It's broken. More bad news it probably isn't worth fixing but a call to Canon service will answer that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!