cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 100-400 vii lens - Pictures could be sharper Need help!

Summerlee340
Enthusiast

Okay, so it could be me - I'm not a total noob, but who knows. Been shooting with my Canon Rebel T3i for several years. Mostly used my 55-250 kit lens and at times I got some tack sharp photos from that lens

Regarding my new 100-400 vii lens, I have yet to get a crisp shot - the shots are just okay to me. Granted I am hand holding the camera and lens when  trying to take photos, and it is a bit heavy (mostly of birds and wildlife) but I do have the IS on.  I usually shoot on M but lately I've been using TV mode - my photos are okay but they just are not sharp enough.  I have it on AF - and sometimes it takes a few seconds to focus.

Even with my tripod, again, the shots are okay - some are passable, but I know what sharp is as I've taken a few with my 55-250 and so far I'm not cutting it.  

I usually have the lens to full zoom at 400 and I try to keep the shutter speed at least 400 as I've read the focal length should be reciprocal to the shutter speed.  My histogram looks great quite often...

Question/Issues:  Perhaps I am too far away from my subject? Birds are so skittish so I usually stand maybe  20 feet away.

I thought with the larger zoom that meant I wouldn't have to be as close to my subject .  

So am I too far away?

If someone has a few moments, perhaps I can get some advice or point me to a great website....Thanks very much.

64 REPLIES 64

Canonfanboy
Contributor

Because of manufacturing tolerances you may need to do an AFMA. Your camera does not support Auto Focus Manual Adjustment. The best thing you can do is return the lens in exchange for another and hope you get one that matches your camera, or upgrade to a camera that supports AFMA. Your lens is a good lens, it just needs help matching you camera.

What AFMA does is allow you to change where you are focusing in relation to the subject. If you are focusing slightly in front of or behind the subject you'd be able to make an adjustment to be spot on.

Even with a pro level camera, sometimes AFMA must be done to match lens and camera. This isn't a problem with the camera or lens. This has to do with manufacturing tolerances.

The good news is that maybe you are able to upgrade the camera to one that supports AFMA.Smiley Happy As far as IS goes... I recommend leaving it off for moving subjects. Also, try using AP mode instead of TV. For birds, especially small ones, you need a faster shutter than 1/400. Much faster. Set for widest aperture in AP mode, have good light, and see what happens. 

Spoiler

5D Mark III, Tamron SP 15-30 DI VC, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 35 f/1.4L II, EF 135 f/2L, Rising standard pinhole, EF 2X III, ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT x7, Flashpoint Streaklight 360ws

Thank you canonfanboy!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Summerlee340 wrote:

Okay, so it could be me - I'm not a total noob, but who knows. Been shooting with my Canon Rebel T3i for several years. Mostly used my 55-250 kit lens and at times I got some tack sharp photos from that lens

Regarding my new 100-400 vii lens, I have yet to get a crisp shot - the shots are just okay to me. Granted I am hand holding the camera and lens when  trying to take photos, and it is a bit heavy (mostly of birds and wildlife) but I do have the IS on.  I usually shoot on M but lately I've been using TV mode - my photos are okay but they just are not sharp enough.  I have it on AF - and sometimes it takes a few seconds to focus.

Even with my tripod, again, the shots are okay - some are passable, but I know what sharp is as I've taken a few with my 55-250 and so far I'm not cutting it.  

I usually have the lens to full zoom at 400 and I try to keep the shutter speed at least 400 as I've read the focal length should be reciprocal to the shutter speed.  My histogram looks great quite often...

Question/Issues:  Perhaps I am too far away from my subject? Birds are so skittish so I usually stand maybe  20 feet away.

I thought with the larger zoom that meant I wouldn't have to be as close to my subject .  

So am I too far away?

If someone has a few moments, perhaps I can get some advice or point me to a great website....Thanks very much.

1/400 is way too slow of a shutter speed for bird photography. The 1/focal length applies to camera shake, not moving.

subjects. 

I normally use 1/1600 for bird photography and Mode 3 on the IS.

A00A1697-3.jpg

A00A7360.jpgA00A7887.jpgA00A8938.jpg

Nice shots!!!
5D Mark III, Tamron SP 15-30 DI VC, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 35 f/1.4L II, EF 135 f/2L, Rising standard pinhole, EF 2X III, ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT x7, Flashpoint Streaklight 360ws

Great photos,TTM. Thanks for your reply. Right now I am not trying to get action shots of the birds - I am after crispness so I've been taking photos of them when they are stationary (which doesn't last that long!) and then looking at my photos to see how they look. Do you think I should still up my shutter speed even though I am taking them when they're still?

@Summerlee340 wrote:
Great photos,TTM. Thanks for your reply. Right now I am not trying to get action shots of the birds - I am after crispness so I've been taking photos of them when they are stationary (which doesn't last that long!) and then looking at my photos to see how they look. Do you think I should still up my shutter speed even though I am taking them when they're still?

Yes, you should up your shutter speed, bird are seldom truly still even when they are sitting in a tree.

Minimum shutter speed should be 1/800 and since you're not use to holding that large of a lens closer to 1/12000. 

@Summerlee340 wrote:

Two things that, to me, are the most important to get sharp photos...

1. The closer you are the better - fill the frame

2.  As high a shutter speed as possible (1/2000 or faster if at all possible)

Do these two and you still have problem with sharpness then start thinking there's something wrong with the lens or other equipment. 

When I first got my 400mm f/5.6L lens I couldn't get a single sharp pictures for the first 3 days even on a tripod...I was close to returning the lens until I properly learn to use it.  Prior to using the 400mm FL, I was using the 70-200mm, sometimes with the 1.4X extender with razor sharp results...400mm is a whole another level, especially on a cropped sensor.  I had a cheap $50 tripod...it was no help at all as it was quivering in the wind and under the weight of the lens.  You need to invest in a more decent tripod.

For unmoving subjects, minimum shutter speed should be at least 1/1000...and remember the faster the better...In time you can slow down but it will take practice.  I can now shoot at 1/320 with decent results but that's after many years of practice using proper breathing techniques.

@Also, I'm willing to bet that for most of your very sharp pictures @ FL250, most are taken at close range.  You simply get more details closer in - so get as close as possible.

@Here is what the 100-400mm v II can do.  This was taken with a 7D Mark II handheld @ 400mm, 1/400, f/5.6, ISO 500.  I adjusted clarity, vibrance and saturation in photoshop but otherwise unsharpened.

33498164942_a54c9e80f2_c.jpg

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Gorgeous shot, diverhank. I happen to love hummingbirds and have a bunch of photos of one that showed up at my feeder last year. They are certainly a challenge. I read all your suggestions and I thank you. I have a Manfrotto tripod. It seems pretty sturdy to me. That will be my next project. I really hope it's me and not the lens!!!

Hello diverhank,

Here are three unedited uncropped photos that I took after I read everyone's comments today about upping the SS, etc. Still handheld (next stop, use tripod). Settings: 1/1000, Manual mode, 400mm Auto ISO. They still do not look tack sharp. Perhaps I should take tons more as several people have mentioned not every photo is a keeper. Thanks again.

IMG_7633.JPGIMG_7643.JPGIMG_7655.JPG

Announcements