cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 100-400 lens shows up as a Tamron

thirdherd
Contributor

I posted some photos I took with my Canon 100-400 lens my on Smugmug site. I accessed the details of the image later and it's recorded as taken with a Tamron 100-400 lens.  The lens is clearly marked Canon so why the descrepency? The camera model is recored correctly so either their software doesn't recognize the lens or I've had the bait & switch pulled on me which I don't think B&H would do. Any explanations?

15 REPLIES 15

Ernie,

Good point about Adorama and I have used them several times recently.  I have some Hensel studio flash gear and Adorama keeps far more of their accessories in stock than B&H and I have had great service from Adorama also. 

But for big purchases I will stay with B&H because of their deal with a local bank where the equipment price is effectively discounted equal to the sales tax rate IF you use that bank card to pay for the order.  But it is imperative to pay the card balance immediately because of the ridiculously high interest rate that allows the bank to absorb the cost, apparently enough people don't pay it off so it is worthwhile for the bank to continue this arrangement.  For big L series glass and camera bodies it is a significant savings and well worth the paperwork hassle.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

your right, I did not even notice the dates.

Thank you

@thirdherd wrote:

I posted some photos I took with my Canon 100-400 lens my on Smugmug site. I accessed the details of the image later and it's recorded as taken with a Tamron 100-400 lens.  The lens is clearly marked Canon so why the descrepency? The camera model is recored correctly so either their software doesn't recognize the lens or I've had the bait & switch pulled on me which I don't think B&H would do. Any explanations?

Are you sure you're looking at the actual EXIF data? What does Canon's own photo editor, Digital Photo Professional, say about the lens? I don't think I'd consider the parameters recorded on Smugmug to be authoritative.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Edward1064
Enthusiast

This happened to me too on the Smugmug site a while back when I had the original version of this lens, but seems to be corrected now, at least with the few pics I just checked.  But this never worried me; I always attributed it to the site, which I am sure is the case.  There is NO doubt that my lens (or yours most certainly) is the Canon lens.

The Smugmug people are EXTREMELY responsive to questions, even on weekends in my experience.  I suspect that any concerns you have will be alleviated by reaching out to them via email.  But wait by your computer for a response!

Ed

Alucard13
Contributor

I agree it would be the website because Canon and Tamron are reputable manufacturers and if the lens looks like the Canon, it is the Canon and not the Tamron. download Canon's Digit Photo Pro 4 and see how it reports the Lens, it's free software for Canon camera owners. 

Year’s old post I doubt the OP is around or interested anymore 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements