cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 100-400 lens shows up as a Tamron

thirdherd
Contributor

I posted some photos I took with my Canon 100-400 lens my on Smugmug site. I accessed the details of the image later and it's recorded as taken with a Tamron 100-400 lens.  The lens is clearly marked Canon so why the descrepency? The camera model is recored correctly so either their software doesn't recognize the lens or I've had the bait & switch pulled on me which I don't think B&H would do. Any explanations?

15 REPLIES 15

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

B&H is 100% reputable, period, end of story.  The issue you describe is related to the Smugmug website, nothing more.

Your lens is Canon, no doubt.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I've had the bait & switch pulled on me which I don't think B&H would do."

They wouldn't so you need to look elsewhere for the issue.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your intent, but did you suspect that B&H sold you a Tamron 100--400 lens instead of a Canon 100-400.   I would find that very hard to understand as the lenses look COMPLETELY different: in size and colour. 

As you can see in the image below with the Canon right beside the Tamron.

Canon tamron.jpg

Source: The Digital Picture review

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

No, I do not suspect B&H of anything. I just wondered why the info on my photos identifys the lens as Tamron as opposed to Canon. As stated the lens is marked Canon as was the box and all the paperwork.

I was perplexed by the comment "I've had the bait & switch pulled on me which I don't think B&H would do".

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"... I do not suspect B&H of anything."

B&H is one class act.  All retailers should be as good.  Some of the other big NY houses are just as good or at least almost as good.  Adorama and Roberts, KEH, to just name a few. I have bought so much gear, I have used almost everybody possible but I prefer these mentioned stores.

What I wondered from your post was why you didn't immediately suspect the web provider, SmugMug?

EB

@thirdherd wrote:

No, I do not suspect B&H of anything. I just wondered why the info on my photos identifys the lens as Tamron as opposed to Canon. As stated the lens is marked Canon as was the box and all the paperwork.

I have seen something similar before, except it was a third party lens reporting itself as a Canon lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Are you shooting in RAW and converting to JPG?  What program are you using?  Take a look at your EXIF data to see what lens model it shows, your software is probably not reporting it correctly.  I am confident that if you use DPP, it will report the correct lens complete with serial number.

As Ernie stated, B&H is a class act and certainly wouldn't try to misrepresent a product.  I have used them for decades without ever having a problem.  My only very minor complaint is I need to do a better job of keeping up with the Jewish holiday calendar because I forgot to order several items before their closing for Sukkot.  I could get the minor items I ordered at the same price from Amazon but with B&H I don't have to worry about counterfeit or other product issues and it is worth the minor wait.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"...B&H I don't have to worry about counterfeit or other product issues ..."

Or give Adorama a try. Ask for Helen Oster she will take care of you.

EB
Announcements