cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 100-400 II Focus Ring Question

Canonowner
Contributor

Just wondering if any owners of this particular lens notice a little bit of play / looseness of the focus ring.

By that I mean are you able to move the ring up and down, side to side a little bit not while actually turning the ring for manual focusing.

I can do it with my lens and it actually makes a noise when I do it.

Almost like it's slappping against the lens body.

From what I can tell, this doesn't seem to affect the manual or automatic focus of the lens.

Just wondering if this is considered normal for this lens.

The zoom ring doesn't have any play in it at all.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

My copy does not do that.  The focus turns smoothly, without any play or slop.  Get it checked out before it gets worse.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

amfoto1
Authority

The focusing ring on mine doesn't do that either. Just some light tension or drag when rotatiing it.

No noise like what you seem to describe, either. Just a very faint, and slight "rattle" when the mechanism is first moved. Not sure how to describe it.... just sound like the mechanical parts of the focusing assembly doing what they're supposed to do.

There may be a very tiny amount of play forward and backward in the zoom ring.... But I mean only one or two thousandths of an inch. There's some drag or slight tension on the rotation, too... even when the tension/locking ring is set to the loosest.

Of course, it's hard to diagnose over the Internet! If there's a local store where you could compare your lens with another,  that might tell you if there's a problem or put your mind at ease. If that's not possible or further concerns you, next step would be to send it in for Canon to look at.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

The up / down, side to side movement of the focus ring is noticed when I'm not  attempting to rotate the focus ring.

Again, it's a very slight movement but, there is movement and a noise.

When I put a finger on the top part of the black rubber of the focus ring and my thumb on the ring underneath and move my hand up and down, that's when I notice the movement.

Same thing when I put my finger and thumb on each side of the ring and move my hand side to side.

The lens is attached to the camera and I'm holding the camera in my other hand when I'm doing this.

When I do go to rotate the focus ring, there is no issue, it rotates very smoothly.

I have taken the lens to the camera store where I bought it to see what they had to say.

They had a brand new 100-400 there and that one also had a bit of movement in the focus ring which the salesperson thought was unusual.

Then again, most of them at that store use Nikon so, I don't know how familiar they are with characteristics of Canon lenses.

I find it odd that this is not happening with some lenses but is happening with mine and a brand new unsold lens.

I'm thinking now that maybe I will send it in to Canon as it's still under warranty and see if there actually is something not right.

Mine does the same.I never noticed it until you pointed it out and I checked. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Of course, it's hard to diagnose over the Internet! If there's a local store where you could compare your lens with another,  that might tell you if there's a problem or put your mind at ease. If that's not possible or further concerns you, next step would be to send it in for Canon to look at.

...& call 1-800-652-2666 Smiley Happy

Andrew
Nature Photography Hobbyist / Enthusiast
Canon EOS Rebel T6i
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements