cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot focus distant subjects in AF

hcpennell
Apprentice

I have a Canon Rebel T3.

Several weeks ago I had an issue with my 50mm/1.8 focusing in AF.  It indicated a busy light and would not allow me to take a picture in AF.  I was able to take a picture in MF.  My kit lens seemed to work fine, so I assumed the problem was with the lens itself.  I replaced the lens, but have experiences similar problems with the new 50 mm/ 1.8.  The camera will not focus in AF mode on subjects that are further away, however it will focus and allow me to take a picture when trying to focus on a subjet that is closer.   Again, my kit lens seems to focus and allows me to take a picture without issue. 

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There is something wrong with your camera.   Send it and the lenses to Canon service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I still suspect there is something wrong with the 50mm lens.  Do you happen to know someone with a Canon EOS body that could help you test the lens and rule out the camera as the issue?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@hcpennell wrote:

I have a Canon Rebel T3.

Several weeks ago I had an issue with my 50mm/1.8 focusing in AF.  It indicated a busy light and would not allow me to take a picture in AF.  I was able to take a picture in MF.  My kit lens seemed to work fine, so I assumed the problem was with the lens itself.  I replaced the lens, but have experiences similar problems with the new 50 mm/ 1.8.  The camera will not focus in AF mode on subjects that are further away, however it will focus and allow me to take a picture when trying to focus on a subjet that is closer.   Again, my kit lens seems to focus and allows me to take a picture without issue. 

You're not using an extension tube, are you? An extension tube increases the lens's effective focal length, and the kind with no corrective optics can make it impossible to focus at long distances Your kit lens, being a zoom, may have greater latitude in this regard.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements