cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II be used with the Canon 5D mark iii? If so, do I need an adapter?

RLaCount
Contributor

I recently upgraded to a 5D mark iii camera from the rebel 4ti. I have the canon EF 50mm f1.8 II lens that I used on my rebel. From what I've read, I should be able to use it on my 5d mark iii since rs an EF lens, but the base is too small for the 5d body. Do I need an adapter? And yes, I know that the 50mm 1.4ii is a better lens, but for now if this will work, then I can make do for a little while.

Thank you.

Rebekah

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Rebekah,

Welcome to the forum.  And, yes, the ef 50mm f1.8, either model, will work on your new 5D Mk III.  Any Canon lens with "EF" in its name will work.  Canon lenses with "EF-S" in their name will not work.  There are some others but they are rarely encountered. But I suppose someone will have to mention them.  But to keep it easy, you are good to go.  EF is the key.

Let's see some of your shots with that fantastic 5D Mk III. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RLaCount wrote:

I recently upgraded to a 5D mark iii camera from the rebel 4ti. I have the canon EF 50mm f1.8 II lens that I used on my rebel. From what I've read, I should be able to use it on my 5d mark iii since rs an EF lens, but the base is too small for the 5d body. Do I need an adapter? And yes, I know that the 50mm 1.4ii is a better lens, but for now if this will work, then I can make do for a little while.

Thank you.

Rebekah

Something's wrong with that scenario. All EF and EF-S lenses use the same size opening; it's not possible for the base of the lens to be too small for the body. Is it possible that your 50mm f/1.8 is not actually an EF lens? I believe that some of Canon's film-era lenses were designed for a smaller opening. Read us everything that's printed on the lens; maybe someone will have an insight.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Here is what is written on the lens:image.jpeg

It will work. That is even the new model.  Best of the f1.8's.  No matter what "EF" is the key.

EB

But it won't fit the 5D. The lens mount is too small.

1234.jpg

EB

That photo is of the earlier version but it is virtually the same lens as you have.

EB

Here are the two lenses. Both 50mm f1.8 and both will work on your 5D Mk III.  The mounts are identical.  Do you have some sort of adapter on your lens that is not supposed to be there?

12345.jpg

EB

Ok, now I feel really stupid! For some reason when I tried to attach the lens when I first got the camera, I could NOT make the lens "fit"! I just wasn't lining it up correctly. You would think after years and years of photography I would know how to attach a darn lens.😖😜 Thank you for your help!

Announcements