cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can´t remove UV filter from lens

mjroberts
Apprentice

I am using a UV filter made by Zeikos on my Canon lens, but I cannot remove this (it has become stuck on the lens). I am worried about forcing it due to the risk to the lens. Can you recommend a product that can be used to help loosen the UV filter? I currently live in the Peruvian Amazon so mail order of a product is not possible, rather I need to know what can be used so I don´t put anything on the lens that could damage it. Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jcphoto
Contributor

A fat rubber band works a charm for this problem. Just wrap it around the filter, it grips well enough to allow for most stuck filters.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Thank you for the tips. I did get it out and screwing and unscrewing them made them a bit loose. So now it works without getting stuck. It was just an issue with brand new equipment. Needed to "wear them in".

I've decided to use the UV-filter less, though. Only as a protector if I go to a place where there is a risk of getting the lens dirty and/or scratched. Before I had it on all the time, except when there were bright light sources in the picture.

And thank you all for these tips. You've been very helpful.

@HDCamTeam wrote:

@Sami wrote:
My problem was a brand new lens and a brand new filter. Screwing and unscrewing it few times made it less tight.

But good tips with the rubber surface and filter wrenches. Maybe I should invest in some wrenches.

I personally experienced similar problems, fortunately never had the filter completely stuck.

But since then I do this: put the filter over the lens thread and rotate the filter a bit in the oposite direction until it completely [links removed per forum guidelines]

"fits" on the lens thread, then rotate the filter in the right direction, trying to never overtighten it.

As stated many times out there, the filter is the final step to "weather seal" a "L" lens, so it's extremely important indeed. And of course you protect the front element.

We use to carry two kind of protection UV filters: one multicoated (expensive) and another without coating (cheap). The reason is because the multicoated filters are usually hard to clean, but deliver better image with less internal reflections (especially noticeable at night scenes with light spots on the frame, etc). But when we shoot in a situation we already know the filter will get durty, then we use the cheap filter (easier to clean, but still protects the lens).

Hope you can get your filter removed!

Regards

if I go to a place where there is a risk of getting the lens dirty and/or scratched. Before I had it on all the time, except when there were bright light sources in the picture.

GraysonHoffman
Apprentice

I had the same problem- I figured out how to remove the filter without breaking or damaging the lens- visit my blog for the full article http://www.graysonhoffman.com/uv-filter-stuck-now/

Even though it's solved i'm going to add my 2 cents in here....

If you're in the field with no rubber band or hairdryer then use the soul of your trainer... it applies an even rubber pressure around the ring.... easy as pie. Unfortunately polarisers are a whole other ball game!

Best,

G

Brilliant, it worked like a charm (with my Crocs, but same idea)

I previously posted, the best way and safest way i found to remove stuck filters from my lens without destroying anything is to use zip ties. Check out this video, very simple and safe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8frgr227Y

Good luck!

LV

jcphoto
Contributor

A fat rubber band works a charm for this problem. Just wrap it around the filter, it grips well enough to allow for most stuck filters.

Knapjb3
Apprentice

My son was apparently having this problem. Im guessing that he forced it, and he said he heard a popping noise, the lense retracted and now will not work. 😞 So, I don't know much about cameras. Does anyone know if this means that the lense is now completely broken. Is it something that can be fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

What lens?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

he said it was a 18-55mm. Does that seem right?

Announcements