cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can´t remove UV filter from lens

mjroberts
Apprentice

I am using a UV filter made by Zeikos on my Canon lens, but I cannot remove this (it has become stuck on the lens). I am worried about forcing it due to the risk to the lens. Can you recommend a product that can be used to help loosen the UV filter? I currently live in the Peruvian Amazon so mail order of a product is not possible, rather I need to know what can be used so I don´t put anything on the lens that could damage it. Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jcphoto
Contributor

A fat rubber band works a charm for this problem. Just wrap it around the filter, it grips well enough to allow for most stuck filters.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

diverhank
Authority

A little heat will loosen the filter right up. I recommend using a hot hair dryer and heat the filter up then unscrew.  You can use a flat pan with a thin layer of very hot water, dip the filter in (take care not to wet the lens) then unscrew.  Remember to use a rag or gloves to keep from being burned.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

What if I have put on the filter the wrong way round?

Check this posting of mine. I had the same issue a couple of weeks back and found a perfect, cheap and safe solution to remove stuck filters "How to remove a stuck filter from front element"

In short, all you need is 2 zip ties, you may get away with just one, but it really depends on the diameter of the filter and how long your zip tie is. Good luck,

LV

ScottyP
Authority

Hi,

Yes, that can be a pain.  If the hairdryer does not work, try setting the lens filter-down on the counter on top of one of those floppy rubber grippy jar openers. Turn the lens (in the correct direction) and see if that will do it.  This puts even pressure on the filter ring rather than pressure on just 2 places like if you were trying it with your hand.  It keeps it from binding worse.

They also sell "filter wrenches" at B&H, Adorama, etc.  They are cheap.  I need to get one of those myself.

Good luck!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I had the same with HAMA filter and Tamron lens. I used the palm of my hand to apply even pressure and lots of small wiggles and lots of time. But eventually it came loose.

Very hot water and a lens?     Very bad idea.

Get a set of filter wrenches and don't screw the filter on so tight next time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi,

If the hair drier doesn't help, try this: put the lens upside down on a rubber cutting board (or any rubber flat surface), this will give you good and even grip/traction on all filter surface. Then try to rotate in the correct direction.

Regards

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

My problem was a brand new lens and a brand new filter. Screwing and unscrewing it few times made it less tight.

But good tips with the rubber surface and filter wrenches. Maybe I should invest in some wrenches.

@Sami wrote:
My problem was a brand new lens and a brand new filter. Screwing and unscrewing it few times made it less tight.

But good tips with the rubber surface and filter wrenches. Maybe I should invest in some wrenches.

I personally experienced similar problems, fortunately never had the filter completely stuck.

But since then I do this: put the filter over the lens thread and rotate the filter a bit in the oposite direction until it completely

"fits" on the lens thread, then rotate the filter in the right direction, trying to never overtighten it.

As stated many times out there, the filter is the final step to "weather seal" a "L" lens, so it's extremely important indeed. And of course you protect the front element.

We use to carry two kind of protection UV filters: one multicoated (expensive) and another without coating (cheap). The reason is because the multicoated filters are usually hard to clean, but deliver better image with less internal reflections (especially noticeable at night scenes with light spots on the frame, etc). But when we shoot in a situation we already know the filter will get durty, then we use the cheap filter (easier to clean, but still protects the lens).

Hope you can get your filter removed!

Regards

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam
Announcements