cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get sharp shot with EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II

jgro002
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice on why I cannot get any sharp shots with the above lens.

I have tried everything i can think of to improve my chances including spending a lot of time trying to improve my technique while using it handheld, using it with a tripod, using it with the IS, increasing the ISO to make sure i can get fast shutter speeds etc. I have also had the lens calibrated by Canon. No matter what I try i just can't get critically sharp shots. If I compare the shots I get with this lens to my 100mm macro lens the difference is night and day. Photos with the 100-400 lens just look fuzzy.

Just FYI I have tried using the lens with both a 6D body and an 80D body. 

When I booked the lens in for calibration with Canon I asked for them to check if they believed the lens was actually functioning correctly or not but noone ever got back to me on this, the customer service was absolutely terrible but since I've already gone down that route I can't really get any advice from a Canon tech on whetehr or not this lens is as sharp as it should be.

Below is an example of an unedited, uncropped shot that feels so close to being good but just not quite there. Settings used were f7.1, iso 1000, shutter 1/1600, handheld at 400mm, manual focus, taken with the 80D.

I'm feeling like there's no point going out to take photos now because I am getting zero keepers, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy

IMG_2689 (1).jpg

22 REPLIES 22

Hi ebiggs1,

Thanks for your comments. I was surprised that you said the moon shot isn't sharp(?). The fact that you say you'd 'expect better' makes me think I'm way off because I really thought that one was good.

I don't think I'm looking in the wrong place at all - I'm trying everything I can to improve my results. As I noted in my original post the first thing I tried was actually to improve my technique. Unfortunately because of the subjects I am most interested in shooting (birds, dragonflies etc) I really need the mobility of handholding the lens. I'll just keep working on it.

Thanks  

Those shots are better than the Moon and the pigeon.  The Moon photo was a one off, so I paid more attention to the bird.

Even though the 100-400mm has an usually short Minimum focusing Distance, I would suggest a macro lens for the dragonfly shots.  I think a macro lens would give the detail you might be looking, and they are light and easier to hold.  I think you may find less need to manually focus the lens.  Trust the hardware, it is very good at auto focusing.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54820520

Most of the AF settings in the 7D2 also apply to your 80D.  

The most significant difference between the AF systems in the 7D2 and the 80D is that the 7D2 has “AF Case Settings”, which are preset AF settings.  These same settings are available in the 80D, except you do not have the luxury to have six presets AF shooting modes to call up.  You set AF shooting modes manually in th 80D, or you save them as a Custom Shooting Mode.  I save two AF action shooting modes as Custom Shooting modes in my 6D and 6D2 bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jgro002 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Below is an example of an unedited, uncropped shot that feels so close to being good but just not quite there. Settings used were f7.1, iso 1000, shutter 1/1600, handheld at 400mm, manual focus, taken with the 80D.

I'm feeling like there's no point going out to take photos now because I am getting zero keepers, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy

IMG_2689 (1).jpg

That shot is nearly a “macro” shot for that lens.  If that is uncropped, then you might be inside of the Minimum Focus Distance.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements