cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can somebody let me know can I use the ef lenses on my T4i ? Or am I limited to th ef s lenses?

jeffm
Apprentice

Can somebody tell me know can I use the ef lenses on my T 4i?Or am I limited to the ef s lenses?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

hsbn
Whiz

You can use both EF and EF-S lens on your T4i.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

That's a very good question.

HSBN already gave you the right answer -- yes you can.

Just to add...  Canon EOS "EF" lenses can be used on any EOS camera (film or digital).

Canon EOS "EF-S" lenses can only be used on EOS cameras that have APS-C size sensors.   This includes all models of Canon Rebel series bodies -- including yours of course.  It also includes all bodies with 2 digits in the model number except for the 10D (that means the 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, and 70D are all included).  Lastly... the Canon 7D can also use EF-S lenses (that's the only body with a single digital in the model number that uses an APS-C size sensor.)

The EOS "EF-M" lenses are designed for Canon's "mirrorless" (aka MILC - Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera).  There are currently only two EF-M lenses released.  The only camera these work with are the EOS-M and the new EOS-M2 (although Canon only announced the M2 in Asia and I understand they do not plan to bring this camera to the North American market).

Lastly...  there are a few specialty lenses... there are a few tilt-shift lenses which are "TS-E" and there is an extreme macro lens called the "MP-E" -- those lenses will work on any EOS body (they can be treated like "EF" lenses when it comes to compatibility.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

hsbn
Whiz

You can use both EF and EF-S lens on your T4i.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

That's a very good question.

HSBN already gave you the right answer -- yes you can.

Just to add...  Canon EOS "EF" lenses can be used on any EOS camera (film or digital).

Canon EOS "EF-S" lenses can only be used on EOS cameras that have APS-C size sensors.   This includes all models of Canon Rebel series bodies -- including yours of course.  It also includes all bodies with 2 digits in the model number except for the 10D (that means the 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, and 70D are all included).  Lastly... the Canon 7D can also use EF-S lenses (that's the only body with a single digital in the model number that uses an APS-C size sensor.)

The EOS "EF-M" lenses are designed for Canon's "mirrorless" (aka MILC - Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera).  There are currently only two EF-M lenses released.  The only camera these work with are the EOS-M and the new EOS-M2 (although Canon only announced the M2 in Asia and I understand they do not plan to bring this camera to the North American market).

Lastly...  there are a few specialty lenses... there are a few tilt-shift lenses which are "TS-E" and there is an extreme macro lens called the "MP-E" -- those lenses will work on any EOS body (they can be treated like "EF" lenses when it comes to compatibility.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank You, for all the info.

@TCampbell wrote:

[...]

The EOS "EF-M" lenses are designed for Canon's "mirrorless" (aka MILC - Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera).  There are currently only two EF-M lenses released.  [...]

The EF-M 11-22 is also easily obtainable in the US via online ordering and is reportedly an exceptional lens.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/
Announcements