cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use macro ring light ML3 without macro lenses

massonspy
Apprentice

i just got macro ring light ML3 and installed it on regular lenses ( the one you purchase with the camera)

Impossible to take pictures as its to bright. I am a newbie in photography.

I need to take before and after pictures in dentistry. Its important the images show aproximately the same colour balance every time you take them.

I have heard they use macro ring flashes so i purchased them.

The question is: Do i necessary need macro lenses to get these pictures right or i can use regular lenses as well.

What camera settings would work for this purpose?

Manual or Auto?

Aperture ?

Flash settings?

How do i set the camera right to get alike images every time i take them?

Thnx

9 REPLIES 9

cicopo
Elite

It's been a long time since I had the ML 3 but you'll have to shoot in Manual & experiment on settings because it won't communicate with a modern DSLR. As for lenses again not sure because you usually mount the flash to the end of the lens either with a screw on adapter ring or using a groove that's built into the lens. I would think you could get by with the kit lens by shooting from a few feet out but a dedicated macro lens will allow a bit more flexibility in just how you frame your shot.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

What would you suggest for the manual settings ? I am taking intraoral pictures and i have to stay close to get the subject. I find it very hard to acomplish as if you take them to close it will appear very bright if you go to far they come black. What am i missing here

@massonspy wrote:

What would you suggest for the manual settings ? I am taking intraoral pictures and i have to stay close to get the subject. I find it very hard to acomplish as if you take them to close it will appear very bright if you go to far they come black. What am i missing here

Well, since you ask, you're missing the extensive experimentation that's probably necessary to using such a tricky setup successfully. There are few dentists in this forum, I'm guessing, so I don't think you can expect us to be much help. I can only say that when you use flash at very close range, getting the exposure right is critical.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

If you can mount the ring light on the lens I see no reason why it would not work.  You do need to set up the camera in M, manual mode.  This will require trial and error.  The flash has a "guide" number. This tells you where to start.

However, here is where I digress.  You do not need to be all that close to the subject, necessarily!  You do need a post editor.  In it you can corect for color and you can crop to just what you want to see.  If you use the RAW photo setting in the camera, it will give you a much broader range of latitide of adjustment in the pictures. But it requires a photo editor such as Photoshop Elements, about $100 bucks and some playing around with it.

With a post editor, you may even find you don't need the flash!  Another choice is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.  It is a real fast lens and can make some amazing available light photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

However, here is where I digress.  You do not need to be all that close to the subject, necessarily!  You do need a post editor.  In it you can corect for color and you can crop to just what you want to see.  If you use the RAW photo setting in the camera, it will give you a much broader range of latitide of adjustment in the pictures. But it requires a photo editor such as Photoshop Elements, about $100 bucks and some playing around with it.

With a post editor, you may even find you don't need the flash!  Another choice is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.  It is a real fast lens and can make some amazing available light photos.

"Intraoral" means he's taking pictures of the inside of people's mouths. So yes he does need flash (or some other kind of artificial lighting), and yes he does need to be up close. Even a really good photo editor isn't going to change that.

Bob

Bob from Boston, my goodness you need to stop being so resistant to post editing.  You will never know for sure until you try.

I used to do inner cavity shots of molds. Although not a persons mouth, very similar.  We did not use a flash.  That only made it worse.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston, my goodness you need to stop being so resistant to post editing.  You will never know for sure until you try.

I used to do inner cavity shots of molds. Although not a persons mouth, very similar.  We did not use a flash.  That only made it worse.

I'll bet those molds held still for a long exposure if necessary and didn't bite your finger if you got too close.

Bob

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@massonspy wrote:

i just got macro ring light ML3 and installed it on regular lenses ( the one you purchase with the camera)

I need to take before and after pictures in dentistry. Its important the images show aproximately the same colour balance every time you take them.

The question is: Do i necessary need macro lenses to get these pictures right or i can use regular lenses as well.

Manual or Auto?

Aperture ?

Flash settings?

Thnx

The ML3 is not compatible with Digital SLR cameras. It was designed for film cameras and can only be used in Manual mode on a DSLR.  

Learning to use flash in Manual mode is not easy, especially if you want to get professional, consistent results.   

What you need is an ETTL flash designed to work with your Digital camera. Get a Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX or Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX. 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

@massonspy wrote:

Manual or Auto?

Aperture ?

Flash settings?

Thnx

The ML3 is not compatible with Digital SLR cameras. It was designed for film cameras and can only be used in Manual mode on a DSLR.  

Learning to use flash in Manual mode is not easy, especially if you want to get professional, consistent results.   

What you need is an ETTL flash designed to work with your Digital camera. Get a Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX or Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX. 

Unfortunately, this is correct. I don't have one, but I understand the ML-3 has no means of adjusting the flash or the ratio of the flash tubes in it.

It that's the case, an MR-14EX or MR-14EXII Ring Lite would be far easier to use on your camera.

Both versions of the MR-14EX are designed to clip onto the front of the Canon macro lenses with 58mm filter size (EF-S 60/2.8, EF 100/2.8 USM, MP-E 65mm). Those lenses have a special, corresponding groove for the flash to clip into. However, there are adapters available to be able to mount it onto various other lenses, both those with larger diameter (EF 100/2.8L IS, EF 180/3.5L), and non-macro lenses. You might need a step-ring too, in some cases.

Does your current lens focus close enough for your purposes? Assuming you have one of the kit lenses.... I see the 18-55mm close focuses to about 9" for up to about 1/3 life size... and the 18-135mm STM closes focuses to about 15" and the non-STM version to about 18", giving 1/4 life size or slightly better magnification.

The 18-55mm uses a 58mm filter, so to use the MR-14EX on it you'd need Macrolite Adapter 58C. The 18-135mm uses a 67mm filter, so to use MR-14EX on it you'd need Macrolite Adapter 67. There are also 52mm and 72mm size adapters. And there are other possibilities... for example if you happened to have a lens with a 55mm filter thread, you could use a step ring with the 58C Adapter.   

I think for dental photography, the MT-24EX Twin Lite would be a bit cumbersome. Usually Ring Lites are a better choice for that purpose.

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Announcements